Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does charging multiple times a day reduce battery life?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ha! Seriously? The Japanese engineered Leaf has one of the worst quality battery packs on the market. It's not even thermally controlled and this leads to serious long term degradation. Just ask any Leaf owner who's had it more than 3 years. The Tesla pack is of far superior quality.

I am sorry, I understand the context of this thread is battery and sure enough Leafs battery is poorly designed. I have driven over 65k miles on two Leafs and battery degradation is all that we talk about.

On the other hand my comment was about the overall quality and reliability of the vehicle. Better than even my Lexus.

Because after 5 years I would still like to make it to my cabin on one charge. Just because the battery is warranted, doesn't mean it's covered for degredation. Degredation is going to happen. How much is within our control -- at least to a certain extent anyway.

Here's a survey, average loss is 5% after 30,000miles (50,000km) and seems to level off. After that, it loses about 1% every 30,000 miles.

Tesla Model S battery degradation shown to level off at 5% after 30,000 miles | Electrek
Tesla Model S Battery Life: How Much Range Loss For Electric Car Over Time?

The warranty does include degradation but there is no fine print to the exact numbers. Some say it's 80% after 8 years and others say 70% after 8 years. You'll probably have to fight over it with your SC if you ever want your pack replaced.

The warranty does include degradation but there is no fine print to the exact numbers. Some say it's 80% after 8 years and others say 70% after 8 years. You'll probably have to fight over it with your SC if you ever want your pack replaced.

In the battery clause of my warranty it states:

"Lithium-ion batteries will experience gradual capacity loss with time and use, which is NOT covered under warranty."

There is nothing in my warranty that reads "the warranty does include degradation". Please let me know where you got your information.

Also, average degradation is just that - average. I'd rather be at the top end of the graph than the bottom, which is the reason for taking care of the battery.

On my old S, I did some fiddling around and tried charging to 80% every day (my daily commute is about 20 miles round trip). I seem to get the best results by just charging to 90% every night and not worrying about it. So, with the 85D, that's what I'm planning to do.