Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does chill mode improve range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Luckily in the MY your regen is distributed between both axles, so it is less likely to lock up any one tire or axle compared to a FWD or RWD EV.
I think this is incorrect. The Model 3, and I expect the Model Y, doesn’t use the front motor for typical regen. The car is strongly rear motor biased and only turns on the front motor for both acceleration and deceleration to assist the rear.

Here’s a video by Bjorn Nyland of his 3 on snow covered roads that shows the front vs rear motor power use. You’ll see that the front motor power is 0.0kW for most driving, even on decidedly slick roads. Presumably, this is done to maximize range as the rear motor is more efficient.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I don't understand why people pay the extra thousands of dollars for a performance option and then run in chill mode to try to save pennies per month by extending their range. It's like buying LIGHT beer in a 32oz can.
Agreed, that's why I got the boost as soon as it was available. I tried chill a couple of times but couldn't see a reason to stick with it. Easier on the tires? I can do that without the help, I want the instant speed readily available. And I'm OK with springing for new tires a bit sooner. Unlike Geezersquid I can drive like a sane adult when required all on my own... ;)

Agreed, that's why I got the boost as soon as it was available. I tried chill a couple of times but couldn't see a reason to stick with it. Easier on the tires? I can do that without the help, I want the instant speed readily available. And I'm OK with springing for new tires a bit sooner. Unlike Geezersquid I can drive like a sane adult when required all on my own... ;)
Well, it turns out you were right. Chill mode is off. I found myself starting to drive like an old PawPaw. I'm going to rotate my tires every 2000 miles and accelerate like I stole it anytime I feel like it. BTW, I don't like to drive fast, I only like to accelerate fast.

Well, it turns out you were right. Chill mode is off. I found myself starting to drive like an old PawPaw. I'm going to rotate my tires every 2000 miles and accelerate like I stole it anytime I feel like it. BTW, I don't like to drive fast, I only like to accelerate fast.
Yeah me too. Drove fast with my beemers, over that now. But QUICK is 🤩.

I've used chill mode for the past week. The major difference for me is much smoother ride quality. This is really helping with jitters that normal mode provides. One has to choose of course but I really like the smooth ride in terms of acceleration.
Today while in chill an older Audi A4 wanted to race me. It could not pass MY in chill which is plenty for me. I would have destroyed in in normal mode.

In any case, I never thought I would try it but last week's drive has been totally fine. Worth trying for sure.

Even on boring chill mode, when I slammed the pedal to the metal after rolling a second or two, all of my passengers were still very much impressed. I keep it in chill mode to contain the tiger!

Any idea what the 0-60 mph time is in chill mode?
I think it’s about 7 seconds.

My favorite trick when I let friends drive the MYP is to secretly start in Chill and have them floor it. They go “oh, yeah, hmm that’s something wow” because most people have no idea what fast actually is. And I’m like “mmm, that didn’t feel quite right though. Oh, here’s the problem, we’re in Chill,” and I switch it over to Sport.

Then they lose their effing minds. 😈

Reactions: miracj and GOVA