Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Chill Mode negate LR Acceleration Boost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In videos of LR + AB vs. P, it seems the advantage of P is mostly starting off the line. After the cars are up to 30 or 40 MPH then LR + AB seems to hold its own again P.

Going in the opposite direction, I most notice Chill Mode off the line. In Standard Mode just touching the pedal a little throws my head back while Chill Mode allows me to start more smoothly/gently.

I'm curious about what the difference is between Chill and Standard above 30 or 40 when I floor it. It seems possible, at least, that the acceleration is the same. Since AP seems to boost acceleration in this MPH range and above, again it seems possible that AB would be useful for high speed passing and so on even with Chill Mode enabled.

I realize the "Standard" button changes to "Sport" after you buy AB but this does not seem like proof that AB does nothing when you're in Chill Mode.

FWIW, That's how I'd design it. Chill Mode would give you more nuance with the go pedal when you're not pressing it very far but it wouldn't limit your peak acceleration (even with AB) when you floor it.

I think someone here did a test and verified chill mode across all platforms and SOC runs consistently in the 7s range for 0-60 which makes me assume that it’s a set output no matter how much is “available”

I have AB and chill mode feels the same as before. Chill mode consumption remains the same as before.
I did notice the battery discharging faster when using sport mode after the AB upgrade... however I did drive faster, for testing purposes of course.

Chill mode is useful when road conditions are wet, slippery or when carrying passengers who may not appreciate the maximum acceleration capabilities of the Tesla Model Y. In stop and go traffic Autopilot is smoother when in Chill Mode. Chill mode is also a way for a new Tesla owner/driver to become familiar with their Tesla vehicle's operation with tamer acceleration.

Reactions: Wigan and sleepydoc
Chill mode is useful when road conditions are wet, slippery or when carrying passengers who may not appreciate the maximum acceleration capabilities of the Tesla Model Y. In stop and go traffic Autopilot is smoother when in Chill Mode. Chill mode is also a way for a new Tesla owner/driver to become familiar with their Tesla vehicle's operation with tamer acceleration.
I'm picking my Y up Friday, and I have every intention of using chill mode, creep, and two pedals while I try to get out of the rat's nest that is DC. I don't want the first time I seriously push the pedal to be trying to cut across two slushy lanes of DC traffic to make a left turn. I'll dork around plenty once I'm out of the city, but before then I'm going to remove every variable I can. I'm literally considering all right turns like UPS if the projected snow storm Thursday night is bad. I've driven a 3 for about 15 minutes and it all seems like a non-issue, but I want to eliminate any chance at any oopsies.

Would chill mode give you more range? I'm thinking it would but I'm not sure it would be any different than simply being less aggressive with the pedal.

Last edited:
I'm picking my Y up Friday, and I have every intention of using chill mode, creep, and two pedals while I try to get out of the rat's nest that is DC. I don't want the first time I seriously push the pedal to be trying to cut across two lanes of DC traffic with slush on the road to make a left turn. I'll dork around plenty once I'm out of the city, but before then I'm going to remove every variable I can. I'm literally considering all right turns like UPS if the projected snow storm Thursday night is bad. I've driven a 3 for about 15 minutes and it all seems like a non-issue, but I want to eliminate any chance at any oopsies.

Would chill mode give you more range? I'm thinking it would but I'm not sure it would be any different than simply being less aggressive with the pedal.
Not when driving on the highway at a steady speed. Chill mode reduces power by about half, this is most noticeable when accelerating. There may be some small increase in range depending on how aggressively you accelerate when not using Chill mode.

Reactions: Wigan
Not when driving on the highway at a steady speed. Chill mode reduces power by about half, this is most noticeable when accelerating. There may be some small increase in range depending on how aggressively you accelerate when not using Chill mode.
So it's basically just dampening pedal response like speeding up or slowing down a mouse, which you can do on your own if you want to?

So it's basically just dampening pedal response like speeding up or slowing down a mouse, which you can do on your own if you want to?
Chill mode may remap the throttle pedal response. Dyno tests have shown that maximum power in Chill mode is limited to ~50% of Standard mode or Sport Mode (Performance Model Y, Model 3) or Track Mode (Performance Model 3).

I'm picking my Y up Friday, and I have every intention of using chill mode, creep, and two pedals while I try to get out of the rat's nest that is DC. I don't want the first time I seriously push the pedal to be trying to cut across two slushy lanes of DC traffic to make a left turn. I'll dork around plenty once I'm out of the city, but before then I'm going to remove every variable I can. I'm literally considering all right turns like UPS if the projected snow storm Thursday night is bad. I've driven a 3 for about 15 minutes and it all seems like a non-issue, but I want to eliminate any chance at any oopsies.

Best of luck with your delivery. First you will find that the power of a Tesla is very easy to modulate with the accelerator. (The 3 should have felt natural) I don't think you will find yourself getting out of control. If you are concerned with slushy roads, the power delivery is going to be based on what traction is available. If you find yourself in a bad spot on the highway around traffic, Chill mode won't help you get you out of that spot. Creep mode simulates that you are in an automatic vehicle and you must keep your foot on the brake in traffic. I would recommend hold mode. Today's Tesla's regenerative brakes comes down to 0 mph and applies the brake for you. I've often found that the car complains a lot with two pedal driving. Wish you the best and if the roads are crap, don't drive the Tesla. Pick it up and just park it in their lot until the weather clears.

Reactions: Wigan
Best of luck with your delivery. First you will find that the power of a Tesla is very easy to modulate with the accelerator. (The 3 should have felt natural) I don't think you will find yourself getting out of control. If you are concerned with slushy roads, the power delivery is going to be based on what traction is available. If you find yourself in a bad spot on the highway around traffic, Chill mode won't help you get you out of that spot. Creep mode simulates that you are in an automatic vehicle and you must keep your foot on the brake in traffic. I would recommend hold mode. Today's Tesla's regenerative brakes comes down to 0 mph and applies the brake for you. I've often found that the car complains a lot with two pedal driving. Wish you the best and if the roads are crap, don't drive the Tesla. Pick it up and just park it in their lot until the weather clears.
I'm being super conservative, I currently have an electric car but it's nothing like the Tesla. I'll see how it looks when I get there, but i don't want to leave it, it's two hours to get to the SC.

I'm being super conservative, I currently have an electric car but it's nothing like the Tesla. I'll see how it looks when I get there, but i don't want to leave it, it's two hours to get to the SC.
Unless you have made prior arrangements with your Tesla delivery team your Tesla Model Y will probably have ~30% state of charge (SOC) when you take delivery. You would need to stop at a Supercharger on the drive home.

Make sure that you have a current credit card on file on your Tesla account, else you will not be able to charge at a Supercharger.

Reactions: JonB65 and Wigan
Unless you have made prior arrangements with your Tesla delivery team your Tesla Model Y will probably have ~30% state of charge (SOC) when you take delivery. You would need to stop at a Supercharger on the drive home.

Make sure that you have a current credit card on file on your Tesla account, else you will not be able to charge at a Supercharger.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll call him tomorrow.

If you have acceleration boost, why are you using chill mode? Conversely, if you’re using chill mode, why are you worried about the acceleration boost?
Good question. I would like maximum acceleration when the accelerator is fully depressed but I also want more gradations of slow acceleration when I depress the pedal just a little. I'm surprised this feature has not already been requested and created by Tesla. For example in my MYLR if I'm not in chill mode then it's very easy to get too much acceleration (for me) when I'm starting from a stop especially on gravel, snow, or ice. OTOH I ALWAYS want maximum power when the pedal's to the metal.

You might not even need "Chill" and "Sport" modes unless you're at a drag strip or something and want that extra 0.01 second. I'm a little surprised everyone's not clamoring for this. The current system of having to switch between "Chill" and "Sport" seems a little antiquated and brain-dead (by Tesla standards).

All volume controls are logarithmic for the same reason. You can easily change the volume over many orders of magnitude without needing a separate Quiet/Rockin' switch.

Reactions: tm1v2
Good question. I would like maximum acceleration when the accelerator is fully depressed but I also want more gradations of slow acceleration when I depress the pedal just a little. I'm surprised this feature has not already been requested and created by Tesla. For example in my MYLR if I'm not in chill mode then it's very easy to get too much acceleration (for me) when I'm starting from a stop especially on gravel, snow, or ice. OTOH I ALWAYS want maximum power when the pedal's to the metal.

You might not even need "Chill" and "Sport" modes unless you're at a drag strip or something and want that extra 0.01 second. I'm a little surprised everyone's not clamoring for this. The current system of having to switch between "Chill" and "Sport" seems a little antiquated and brain-dead (by Tesla standards).

All volume controls are logarithmic for the same reason. You can easily change the volume over many orders of magnitude without needing a separate Quiet/Rockin' switch.
I can't say for sure, but what your asking for seems impossible.

Say the pedal travels 6" total from off to the floor. If 'full acceleration' is 600 watts in regular mode and 300 watts in chill mode then the pedal response is essentially divided up into 100 watts per inch of travel in regular mode and 50 watts per inch in chill. You'll have more control in the chill mode but there's no way to have more control and still get all 600 watts in 6 inches unless it's a non-linear response, but that would cause other usability issues.

I can't say for sure, but what your asking for seems impossible.

Say the pedal travels 6" total from off to the floor. If 'full acceleration' is 600 watts in regular mode and 300 watts in chill mode then the pedal response is essentially divided up into 100 watts per inch of travel in regular mode and 50 watts per inch in chill. You'll have more control in the chill mode but there's no way to have more control and still get all 600 watts in 6 inches unless it's a non-linear response, but that would cause other usability issues.
TL:DR: drive a turbo or older automatic. People like a non-linear response and find it more useful. And see the article below that says almost all cars today are designed with a non-linear response.

People use non-linear controls all the time. Often they are more natural. In fact humans have already adapted extremely well to non-linear responses from the accelerator pedal with automatic transmissions and with turbos. Turbos not only give you a highly non-linear boost in acceleration, they also have a time delay. Even with the delay people love it. I sure did on my Turbo Saab 900. I doubt anyone would ever say "please disable my turbo because the pedal response is non-linear". They are more likely to say "punch it Chewie!" What I'm suggesting would be like having a turbo but without the delay and with an optimized/tailored response curve.

With (perhaps older) automatic transmissions the pedal response is also highly non-linear because when you really press on the pedal the car down shifts. With turbos and automatics, people, like the non-linear boost and find it more useful.

When I was a kid many years ago my father worked on this problem as a mechanical engineer. One day as we were driving along in the car he asked me "what do people want/expect as they press the accelerator pedal?" He said it was a highly non-trivial problem. So half a century ago, even with only mechanical controls, engineers did not feel constrained to make (or try to make) the response of the accelerator pedal linear nor did they think it was optimal from a UX perspective.

According to this article Linear throttle most cars are designed with an accelerator response curve that is non-linear in the opposite direction from what I suggest in order to make "the vehicle feel more powerful as you get a sudden surge when you initially press the pedal." Maybe Tesla does this too in which case my suggestion would be to make the response more linear. Maybe this is what Chill Mode does.

Given this context I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla is already doing what I have suggested when you enable Chill Mode so you still get full acceleration when the pedal is all the way done so Chill and Sport just switch between two acceleration curves like those shown in the article. limiting the max acceleration in Chill mode seems silly and unsafe. I doubt Tesla would do that.

Reactions: tm1v2