Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Connector Button Now Wake Up Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Runt8

May 19, 2017
Colorado
In the past, if I left my car plugged in overnight, when I went to get in the next morning I would need to wake it up by lightly pressing one of the door handles before I could press the button on the wall connector wand and remove it. However, in the past month or so, I have been able to press the button on the connector, and, after a brief pause, the Tesla logo lights up and allows me to remove the wand.

In my mind, this means one of two things:
  1. A recent update (or something else) broke the car's ability to go to sleep OR
  2. A recent update added the ability to use the wand button to wake the car up.
If Tesla added this ability, it seems like people would have been talking about it. And having an update break the ability to go to sleep isn't exactly an unheard of event. But the several second pause before the Tesla logo lights up makes me think that it was sleeping and needed that long to wake up.

Is there anyway to test this? I don't know how to determine if the car is sleeping without waking it up in the process...

I believe it would have come about from 2020.24.6.x

Prior to this version, there was an issue where if you tried to start charging when the car was asleep, it would not wake up and start charging.
Tesla Model 3 - won't wake up via charger (RESOLVED)

In some countries there are off peak circuits that get switched on during certain times of the day (i.e. in the early hours of the morning). If you were to connect your charger to these circuits, and the car fell asleep it would never start charging when power was applied to this off-peak circuit.

2020.24.6.x fixed this issue - I believe by keeping the Charge Port Controller powered. It looks like it now means you can wake the car up using the button on your Type 2 connector.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Runt8
The port latch will unlock if you have key phone/fob with you. If you do not have key, then the port stays latched and the screen lights up and says to use key to unlock. I like how it works now. Easy to unlatch if you have the key.

That’s great.

Part of me is ecstatic that they finally fixed this glaring flaw. The other part of me is disgusted it took them so long.

I emailed customer service about this multiple times back in 2018, and they jumped back and forth, alternately arguing that either (A) something was defective with my car specifically and I’d have to schedule an appointment with a SC to get it diagnosed, or (B) the car was operating perfectly as designed/intended as a security feature (despite the owners manual explicitly saying it should behave differently). So frustrating.

• Funny
Reactions: israndy
In the past, if I left my car plugged in overnight, when I went to get in the next morning I would need to wake it up by lightly pressing one of the door handles before I could press the button on the wall connector wand and remove it. However, in the past month or so, I have been able to press the button on the connector, and, after a brief pause, the Tesla logo lights up and allows me to remove the wand.

In my mind, this means one of two things:
  1. A recent update (or something else) broke the car's ability to go to sleep OR
  2. A recent update added the ability to use the wand button to wake the car up.
If Tesla added this ability, it seems like people would have been talking about it. And having an update break the ability to go to sleep isn't exactly an unheard of event. But the several second pause before the Tesla logo lights up makes me think that it was sleeping and needed that long to wake up.

Is there anyway to test this? I don't know how to determine if the car is sleeping without waking it up in the process...

The short answer is yes, it now wakes up from button press, no more opening a door first.

You can't cross post in this forum like you could in the Usenet, had to choose a forum to post in. Since I observed in both 3 and Y I posted to common forum:

3/Y seem to wake up/unlock charge port now by pressing J1772 release button

Reactions: VQTRVA
The short answer is yes, it now wakes up from button press, no more opening a door first.

You can't cross post in this forum like you could in the Usenet, had to choose a forum to post in. Since I observed in both 3 and Y I posted to common forum:

3/Y seem to wake up/unlock charge port now by pressing J1772 release button

That thread is specifically about J1772 EVSE connectors and not Tesla connectors, right? (I think that’s a *slightly* different topic to this thread.)

Related question: Now can a press of the button on the Tesla connector also wake a sleeping 3/Y when it’s unplugged for the purpose of opening the charge port door?

I'll answer my own question... :)

No, it won't.

When the car is asleep, it will still not respond to a press of the button on the Tesla charge connector to open the charge port door. You still have to wake up the car first (via a press on a door handle, or opening the trunk, or waking it via the app, etc.), even tho the manual still omits any mention of the car needing to be awake for this to work. Argh.

I did, however, verify that the car will wake up to a charge connector button press when plugged in*, as discussed above. So I guess I'll accept my half a loaf here and be happy about it.

(*Verified on a Model 3 with 2020.28.6 and a Mobile Connector.)

Late reply,
Thanks for the heads up on the wand button waking car (no more door first !)
Was going to ask / answer what you just answered yourself .. cannot wake car with wand button if not plugged in already .. at least our two cars it seems

model 3 on home connector / 2020.24.6.9

Just wanted to add that it's been necessary for me to hold down the connector button for 1-2 seconds in order to successfully wake up the car when asleep and plugged in. Granted, the manual has always said to "press and hold the button" when unplugging the connector, but before this recent update I've never had to actually hold down the button -- a short button press has always done the trick to release the latch -- but, of course, that was always when the car was awake.

Just wanted to add that it's been necessary for me to hold down the connector button for 1-2 seconds in order to successfully wake up the car when asleep and plugged in. Granted, the manual has always said to "press and hold the button" when unplugging the connector, but before this recent update I've never had to actually hold down the button -- a short button press has always done the trick to release the latch -- but, of course, that was always when the car was awake.

Before the update, the button could only to release the latch, after the car was awake. It now takes a second or two to hold the button to wake the car, and then once again, a single push will release the latch. Just as the manual stated.

I do not understand the reason for your post.

Before the update, the button could only to release the latch, after the car was awake. It now takes a second or two to hold the button to wake the car, and then once again, a single push will release the latch. Just as the manual stated.

I do not understand the reason for your post.

Thanks for re-stating almost exactly what I posted, lol. So I guess I do not understand the reason for your post. :p;)

The reason for my post was educational, which I thought was self-evident: Before the update there was never any need to hold down the button. Now there is.

Without knowing this non-obvious detail, some owners might think there was something wrong with their car, or they might never discover this new capability in the first place.

Also, a small correction: In my experience it is NOT necessary to press the charge connector button a second time to release the latch after the car is initially awoken by the button. The 2-second button hold wakes up the car AND releases the latch at the same time (as long as the phone key is close enough to be recognized).

Last edited:
I’ve been doing some testing on this new behavior and discovered something kind of interesting.

The car consistently wakes up and releases the latch when the charge connector is held down for 2 seconds. However, if you do short button clicks instead, it will also respond sometimes/eventually.

To be more specific, when I click the button and wait to see if the car responds, and then click it again if it doesn’t wake up, and then repeat until it wakes up, the results are awfully sporadic:

Sometimes it wakes up after 1 click. Sometimes after 3. Sometimes after 8. It seems completely random. The max has been 11 and the average ~3.5.

(Note: in case the purpose of this post is unclear, it is intended to be educational in nature. Thank you.)

upload_2020-8-15_11-25-15.jpeg

:D