Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Defrost Auto turn off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I am having trouble with my app. Its not sending me any notifications. So I was wondering when I select defrost from the climate controls in the app - does the car automatically turn that function off when it has defrosted - and goes about keeping the desired temperature of the last setting. Or will it carry on blowing all the heaters at full and heating the cabin to HI (which I think is 27d) until I enter the car. As I set defrost the other day - 30 minutes before my departure - looked out 5 minutes later to see car windscreen but when I checked the app just before I was too leave it was still on full. Is this down to the fact that this setting is also preconditioning the battery???

I turn on defrost mode in the Tesla app before I leave for work. The app will say the car is at desired temperature. At that point I turn it off and go to work. I'm noticing it's still telling me the battery is cold and regenerative braking is limited. Should I not be turing off the defrost mode when the app says "The car is at the desired temperature?" I'm wondering if I need to leave it on longer, to warm up the battery, how long do I need to leave it on to warm up the battery? It was 28 degrees last night, but it was parked in the garage. Garage does not have a heater, but it was still in the 40's I am sure.

Upvote 0
I turn on defrost mode in the Tesla app before I leave for work. The app will say the car is at desired temperature. At that point I turn it off and go to work. I'm noticing it's still telling me the battery is cold and regenerative braking is limited. Should I not be turing off the defrost mode when the app says "The car is at the desired temperature?" I'm wondering if I need to leave it on longer, to warm up the battery, how long do I need to leave it on to warm up the battery? It was 28 degrees last night, but it was parked in the garage. Garage does not have a heater, but it was still in the 40's I am sure.

No, you dont need to warm up the battery before you go to work unless your work commute is more than the entire range of your battery.

Upvote 0
So, I am having trouble with my app. Its not sending me any notifications. So I was wondering when I select defrost from the climate controls in the app - does the car automatically turn that function off when it has defrosted - and goes about keeping the desired temperature of the last setting. Or will it carry on blowing all the heaters at full and heating the cabin to HI (which I think is 27d) until I enter the car. As I set defrost the other day - 30 minutes before my departure - looked out 5 minutes later to see car windscreen but when I checked the app just before I was too leave it was still on full. Is this down to the fact that this setting is also preconditioning the battery???
They used to cover items like this in the owners manual, is it no longer included in there?

Upvote 0
Why? The purpose of the AC is to dehumidify. Sucking snow into the cabin from the HVAC intakes and then warming it will almost make it worse. Mine will start blowing warm air after a short defog/defrost time.
i guess i wasn't being patient enough for warm air after a short defog/defrost time...

brrrr TSLA should figure out a heated element solution for the front too

BTW I love UP

Upvote 0