Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does dual motor make a big difference in terms of power, enjoyment, etc?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also don't know any 4 banger mustangs that do 0-60 in under 5 seconds.

How's the weather there in 2016 anyway?

2018 Ford Mustang Specs - Mustang GT Horsepower, 0-60
Road and Track said:
When equipped with the 10-speed automatic and the Performance package, the EcoBoost will run to 60 mph in under 5.0 seconds.

Hell, C&D got 5.1 in the 4 cylinder MANUAL.

2018 Ford Mustang 2.3L EcoBoost Manual Tested

I
The GTs have trouble with that even.

No, they really, really don't.

In fact they've been doing it under 4 for a few years now (though barely)

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/mustang/2018/2018-ford-mustang-gt-first-test-review/

Motortrend said:
The automatic Mustang ran from 0 to 60 mph in 3.9 seconds

As to how many of these mustangs are on the road.... more than there are SR model 3s at least. Add in all the other sub-5.3 second cars (camaros, 370zs, G3xs, IS350s, various BMW/Mercedes/Audis, hell even higher end Golfs....there's certainly lots of cars the SR is "considerably faster off the line than" but there's a decent # where it's not....being either slower or roughly comparable.

That is NOT true of the dual-motor versions of the car.

Which, again, was the original topic of the thread in case that's been missed.

The standard range plus still has all the acceleration a non performance oriented driver could ever want. It's got all the passing power you need.

It's still inconvenient amount of range for people with longer commutes in cold climates or for longer road trips. That might only matter a few days out of the year for a lot of people though.

Me personally I think the LR AWD has barely enough range. If I could have paid more for Model S level long range (370 epa miles) I would have done so, but right now you're only options for more range is a LR RWD used car or an $80k Model S Long Range.

Need 400 EPA miles for $25k (even if it's a less luxurious car) with 250kw charging everywhere for wider adoption of EVs.

Reactions: iamnid
I took my Tesla out last night to try it for the first time in Valet mode. Drove like a normal car, and surprisingly peppy for a highly restricted Valet mode.

I did a 0-60 on my phone and it came out to 9.6 secs. Again, it was still a nice driving car at the performance level, and I didn't feel like it would be any issue driving in any regular daily driving situation.

The SR and SR+ are way faster than that. But I did put it back in Standard mode and punched it just for comparison. It was a physically and emotionally traumatizing compared to Valet mode.

Just shows how relative speed is. Back when I was in high school anything in the 6 sec range for 0-60 was a supercar.

Reactions: Common_Loon
Since I'm being quoted a lot here since stating that the SR+ is faster than most cars, I wasn't looking for an argument about what other pony cars. sports coupes, etc. are as fast or are faster, my point was mainly that the SR+ is no slug and, if you are looking to scoot ahead of someone from a stop light, you'll likely have no problem unless the other person is actually trying to race you (if they are, then you probably don't need to rush to get around them). I was merely saying, as a response to the original question, unless you're looking to race people, the SR+ will be more than adequate as it is very fast off the line. The increased acceleration of the AWD will likely only benefit you if you DO try to race a pony car or sports car from a stop light -- I'm not sure that's what the original poster intended though.

Since I'm being quoted a lot here since stating that the SR+ is faster than most cars, I wasn't looking for an argument about what other pony cars. sports coupes, etc. are as fast or are faster, my point was mainly that the SR+ is no slug and, if you are looking to scoot ahead of someone from a stop light, you'll likely have no problem unless the other person is actually trying to race you (if they are, then you probably don't need to rush to get around them). I was merely saying, as a response to the original question, unless you're looking to race people, the SR+ will be more than adequate as it is very fast off the line. The increased acceleration of the AWD will likely only benefit you if you DO try to race a pony car or sports car from a stop light -- I'm not sure that's what the original poster intended though.

I own both and I agree the SR+ is a quick car. Quicker than most sedans in its class and when combined with instant torque and lack of transmission it feels even quicker.

Sure, owning an AWD and a RWD the preconditioning speed is clear. Driving at freeway speed for hours it still doesn't show up at an ideal temp battery. it's fairly easy to see if you get the ODB2 diag tool.

Yes, that's what I was referring to, which reads the CAN bus data. I'll have to wait until it's colder again (we've had a warm winter) but I've not have an issue with the RWD getting up to ideal temps for max charging speed. What were the outside temps at when you were driving at freeway speed and not able to achieve a preconditioning that would allow full speed charging?

Yes, that's what I was referring to, which reads the CAN bus data. I'll have to wait until it's colder again (we've had a warm winter) but I've not have an issue with the RWD getting up to ideal temps for max charging speed. What were the outside temps at when you were driving at freeway speed and not able to achieve a preconditioning that would allow full speed charging?

Believe it or not I've had it not get warm enough for full speed at fairly mild temps IF you are blazing down the freeway. I think it was probably in upper 40s and i left my house with a fairly warm garaged battery. Drove about 2.5 hours directly on interstate to a charger and only got about 90kW at 20% charge. If you are going slower it seems to put pretty good heat into the battery with preconditioning but the logic doesn't seem to be there to turn it on earlier to take into account stopping at a supercharger literally right off the interstate. the AWD has the luxury of basically being able to just use the front motor as a heater while the rear pushes the car down the road. Granted this was in Nov so it may behave a little different now with dif fw.

Hey all,

I'm currently debating picking up a used 2019 Long Range RWD M3 (before dual motor was standard in long range) or a new 2020 AWD Dual Motor. I've driven the LR RWD before, but never dual. I live in California so any perks from AWD/DM would be strictly pleasure. I like to feel power when I drive, but I know the LR RWD has plenty of it. Is there a big difference between the two?

I'm happy with my LR RWD. The acceleration is still "very fun", and FAR beyond adequate for any merge. It still elicits a "holy crap!" from passengers who are used to ICE cars.

There are folks who may tell you that any single motor model 3 has a downgraded interior, which isn't true if it has the same size battery as the dual motors. It has the subwoofer, it has all five heat seaters, etc. (We're not talking about the "Standard Range Plus".)

Also, when I charge to 100%, (which I usually don't) it says 325 miles of range! NONE of the trims sold new today offer that. It's the main reason I chose this trim level. Even if you're not concerned about the range between charges, it does mean it's slightly more efficient in terms of miles to the dollar of "fuel".

Also, although you didn't mention this, and that trim level is available with 19" wheels, I like the 18" wheels for four reasons: 1) A smoother ride. 2) Much cheaper replacement tires. 3) Personally I think the black covers are "distinctly Tesla". Who else has black wheel covers? 4) Reduced chance of wheel damage in potholes and curbs.

Some may assume from this post I'm just some uptight old guy who hates sportiness. Nah, I spent less, and I got everything I could want.

Bragging rights are very expensive. I find my car a pure joy to drive.

Also, although you didn't mention this, and that trim level is available with 19" wheels, I like the 18" wheels for four reasons: 1) A smoother ride. 2) Much cheaper replacement tires. 3) Personally I think the black covers are "distinctly Tesla". Who else has black wheel covers? 4) Reduced chance of wheel damage in potholes and curbs.

The smooth ride is subjective. I own an SR+ with the 18"s and M3P+ with the 20"s and can't tell a difference but other might but it is not very noticeable.

As for tire prices, have you actually checked the prices of the 18"s. The OEM 18" Michelin Primacy tires are like $285 each. The 20" PS4s are $329 but is a much better tire for the money. If you gravitate away from OEM acoustic you can get cheaper tires in the 18"s but the same is true for the 20"s.

The main reason I got the DM model because it has better dependability. If say the rear motor dies, you are SOL. If you have the DM, it can still work with one motor and the good thing about Tesla is that unlike ICE cars where in AWD setup, if the driveshaft or differential is breaks you may cost a lot to repair. Tesla has very few parts, if either motor dies, just replace them and you are g2g.

The main reason I got the DM model because it has better dependability. If say the rear motor dies, you are SOL. If you have the DM, it can still work with one motor and the good thing about Tesla is that unlike ICE cars where in AWD setup, if the driveshaft or differential is breaks you may cost a lot to repair. Tesla has very few parts, if either motor dies, just replace them and you are g2g.
I don't think there are any documented cases of a DM being able to drive with a rear motor failure. There are people who have been able to drive with front motor failures. Supposedly this is because the rear is permanent magnet motor and cannot freewheel.

I am not sure dependability is a good reason to purchase the dual motor, in fact you would have double the chance of a motor failure. From a cost perspective, the electric motors are not inexpensive parts to replace. The good news is that they are covered under warranty for 8 years/120k miles.

I decided to get the Model 3P Stealth, after an overnight test drive of the M3P+, I loved the acceleration but was not keen on the 20" wheels, the performance brakes and lowered suspension. They were not important to me as I have no plans to track the car, plus, the roads are flat and straight in Florida!. When the Tesla rep told me about the Stealth, I was sold! I did go for the 19" wheels because I thought they struck a nice compromise and looked better than the 18" variety. The expression of shock on an unsuspecting passenger when nail it never ceases to make me smile! I leased my M3, possibly a mistake because in the month since I took delivery I'm already 400 over mileage! My intention was to split the driving between the M3 and my ICE car, but, once I started driving the M3, the only time I drove the ICE was on an unplanned, quick, 1,500 mile road trip with 4 occupants and felt the ICE (2019 BMW 740i) was the better option because it has a big trunk, lots of rear seat room. I was also a bit concerned that charging the M3 might have been an issue in the very rural Georgia area I needed to go. For all other driving, it's been the M3! I love the instant response, nimble handling, excellent technology, and essentially one pedal driving using regeneration. I would like to see better road noise insulation (noise from our worn freeway surfaces is high); the BMW is much quieter on the freeway (albeit, it is a more expensive luxury car). Given the price point of the M3, I think it offers the best driving experience I've ever experienced.

I'm happy with my LR RWD. The acceleration is still "very fun", and FAR beyond adequate for any merge. It still elicits a "holy crap!" from passengers who are used to ICE cars.

There are folks who may tell you that any single motor model 3 has a downgraded interior, which isn't true if it has the same size battery as the dual motors. It has the subwoofer, it has all five heat seaters, etc. (We're not talking about the "Standard Range Plus".)

Also, when I charge to 100%, (which I usually don't) it says 325 miles of range! NONE of the trims sold new today offer that. It's the main reason I chose this trim level. Even if you're not concerned about the range between charges, it does mean it's slightly more efficient in terms of miles to the dollar of "fuel".

Yeah, I really wish the LR RWD model was still available.