Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does EAP affect trade in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking about following through with the MR Model 3 order I have configured but I am also intrigued by holding off for the Model Y.

Does tesla value any model with or without EAP software the same for trade ins?

I don’t want to spend $5k and then end up traded my MR if I don’t get any value for it.

@S3XYBack

Not a direct answer to your question, but:

The difference between the price you pay and the future trade-in value will be far more significant than what they do (or don’t) credit you for EAP.

If you are trying to minimize financial losses, avoid trading in a high-value car at all costs.

Thinking about following through with the MR Model 3 order I have configured but I am also intrigued by holding off for the Model Y.

Does tesla value any model with or without EAP software the same for trade ins?

I don’t want to spend $5k and then end up traded my MR if I don’t get any value for it.
Hard to know what goes into an offer but common sense would indicate it is worth nothing to them so why would it be a factor. They can simply turn on EAP and FSD before reselling without costing them a dime. However, selling to anyone but Tesla should make a big difference.

Reactions: PA ZU and Perry
I was curious about this too, so when I recently purchased a new Tesla, I got trade-in quotes for both my car and my father's - which were almost identical, except mine had autopilot and his didn't. Well, his had more miles too, but not many.

The trade-in value was much higher for mine. Far too much to be explained by the mileage difference. So apparently Tesla does value autopilot on trade-in.

That said, if you are trying to minimize losses, selling privately is likely to be better than trading in. Although in this particular case (I did end up selling privately, as I always have in the past) the difference was quite small.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: IdaX and MXWing
It depends what Tesla decidedd to do in the future. They may give it away for free. If they do then it won't matter because they will just enable it in your car after you trade it in.

If they don't give it away free then it might add some value. Because it's software, it has a made up value right now and Tesla seems to be backing up the made up value they created, but it can change at the flip of a switch.

First, AFAIK, Tesla doesn't do trade-ins. They give it to a third party to do. Tesla is not known for giving the best price. But yes, there should be some compensation, especially as features get added.

I didn't think that they were accept Model 3s for trade-in right now. May change in the future.

A bird in the hand is worth more than a Y in the bush!

Tesla offered me a very good price to trade in my Model 3 about three weeks ago.

In the past, their trade-in offers have been goofy low. I was surprised by this one. Maybe it's just because it had so few miles; maybe it's something different about the Model 3 market.

Used auto values change almost daily. On the wholesale market it is mostly determined by the current auction values. Dealers use the auction values, and no longer concern themselves with Kelley Blue Book types of publications.

If you have autopilot enabled, it will always have more value than an identical car without.

As FSD becomes more common, one without that capability will also become devalued.

Simply ask yourself, would you pay more for a AP car than one without AP, all other things equal.

The fact that Tesla can enable it for free does not change your value. It becomes a value add for them.

Used auto values change almost daily. On the wholesale market it is mostly determined by the current auction values. Dealers use the auction values, and no longer concern themselves with Kelley Blue Book types of publications.

If you have autopilot enabled, it will always have more value than an identical car without.

As FSD becomes more common, one without that capability will also become devalued.

Simply ask yourself, would you pay more for a AP car than one without AP, all other things equal.

The fact that Tesla can enable it for free does not change your value. It becomes a value add for them.

I would agree except that tesla can do 5k price changes on a whim. There's nothing to stop them from giving out EAP for free next year. If your using tesla to buy back your car, they can enable or disable EAP when they get the car from you so I'm not sure it's actually worth anything to them (I don't think they do this currently but they could at any time!). I think they don't do this currently to diversify pricing and keep the value EAP currently has since they are still selling it. If you sell 3rd party it may have more value though.

First, AFAIK, Tesla doesn't do trade-ins. They give it to a third party to do. Tesla is not known for giving the best price. But yes, there should be some compensation, especially as features get added.

I didn't think that they were accept Model 3s for trade-in right now. May change in the future.

Where does tesla get their used inventory from then? I thought they only buy teslas and everything else is sold to a 3rd party.

Thanks for the input guys! So EAP seems to have value.

Canceled my MR. Taking delivery of loaded LR this weekend for wife. Was thinking of getting a base MR to keep cost low and replace my P85 but I enjoy the P85 too much and the S is the best looking T. I want upgraded tech car but don’t need two Model 3s. Keeping my P85 if there is no buyer or upgrading it with another used AP one. One to keep for long time like a 85D with AP. Being financially responsible and not taking a big depreciation hit on two new cars. Looking fwd to Model Y reveal tho.

Reactions: IdaX