TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Does Elon drive customized Teslas?

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by Lucidor, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Lucidor

Lucidor Member

Would Elon Musk drive standard off-the-shelf Teslas?I have learned that he is personally testing beta versions of the autopilot, but why stop there? In his position, I imagine Elon could ask about anything from color of the interior to match his wife's favourite dress, to bleeding edge experimental settings to make the car launch to 60 mph in 2.4 seconds, thereby matching the acceleration of the Porsche 918 Spyder. What does it matter that the battery and drive train will implode after a few weeks?If you were Elon, what special features would you tell engineering to provide for your personal ride?

2. Martin VanB

Martin VanB Member

A time machine. Not the one made buy Apple. A real honest to goodness time machine.

I bet he has extra cupholders.

And a spare tire. I am going crazy thinking how cool those things would be.

3. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

I don't think Tesla has the luxury of playing around with fun features right now. The Model-X has been delayed for 2+ years and they need to get this out the door. Goofing around delays that objective. Plenty of time to play once they are in a better position.

4. perkiset

perkiset ... this one goes to 11

IMO, he's the kind of CEO that would want to know precisely what his customers feel like when driving. I'll bet he does have a beta AP, but probably a completely stock P90D that he drives f'reals. First, again, because if HE doesn't like it I'd guess he wouldn't want to sell it. Second, he's probably too busy and distracted to be a good beta candidate full time. If AP is far enough along he might, but I'd wager that he wants to feel it done, not micro-manage the process.

5. donv

donv Member

He customized his original Signature S with staggered wheels and tires, which led to the development of the P85+. Who knows what he's driving these days... I believe he had a P85D for a while-- probably has multiple Ss, maybe one in LA and one in Palo Alto?

6. cpa

cpa Member

I wonder if Elon charges at home, and if he does not, if he received one of those emails advising him just how convenient charging at home is.

7. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

I am pretty sure that the first one he owned (black on black) had the features of a P85+ well before they were available to the public (...and then gone again)

8. Canuck

Canuck Active Member