Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does everyone have door seal like this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone! New Tesla Model 3 owner here. I interned at Tesla two years ago when they released Model 3. I even participated internal testings for seats. It was interesting that they wanted to know if females feel comfortable about the head rest when they tie their hair up.

Anyways, I finally pulled the trigger and bought one a couple days ago. Almost without a doubt, there are small scratches here and there but they should be fixed easily so I wasn't too concerned. However, the door seal did raise some of my concerns. Please see pictures below.

bjCTMnF.jpg

Wm8t82L.jpg

It just doesn't seem that well done... I was wondering if this was the case for everyone. If not, does anyone know if this is something easy to fix?

Thank you guys! You guys are the best!

If I would have seen your photos before I parking my car I would have taken a photo of my door area for comparison. I have no idea what seals look like before they get mounted, maybe trimmed once fitted, but that certainly looks like someone overlooked that area on your car. Even my husband was confused by what he was seeing. I can assure you that our car doesn't look like that. Send in a service request on your app. Might be something mobile could handle.

Congrats btw on the new car. Hopefully that seal issue is your biggest one.

Interesting little tidbit about the hair/head rest thing.

It'd be better to compare in person, but I think yours look pretty similar to mine. Here's my front passenger side door seal....

pass-side-front-door-seal.jpg

...and the rear passenger side door seal....

pass-side-rear-door-seal.jpg

They've got some awkward-looking folds, but it looks like they were designed that way. They're also literally a bit rough around the edges, but not too bad. Honestly, I'd never really noticed anything odd about these seals. (I took delivery of my car almost exactly three months ago.)

I did, however, notice a small problem on the driver-side window seal on my car....

driver-side-window-seal.jpg

It's not leaking or anything, it's just a bit ugly. If it gets worse or starts leaking, I'll take it in for service.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
It'd be better to compare in person, but I think yours look pretty similar to mine. Here's my front passenger side door seal....

View attachment 424829

...and the rear passenger side door seal....

View attachment 424830

They've got some awkward-looking folds, but it looks like they were designed that way. They're also literally a bit rough around the edges, but not too bad. Honestly, I'd never really noticed anything odd about these seals. (I took delivery of my car almost exactly three months ago.)

I did, however, notice a small problem on the driver-side window seal on my car....

View attachment 424828

It's not leaking or anything, it's just a bit ugly. If it gets worse or starts leaking, I'll take it in for service.

Instead did taking it in to service, you can just push it bak into place with your finger. It will pop out periodically. That is a common occurance

Ok here’s my car’s passenger front and rear door seal areas for comparison. 2018 Sept build, delivered during 3rd Qtr rush.

Front:
9E72E020-DBAD-4545-96DE-1C366BD42E2F.jpeg

955B2201-29E5-496A-87EF-2855DDA18952.jpeg

Rear:
9D8368E2-DA1A-4FD1-B9F9-31591B9CBC56.jpeg

F31DAF5B-6328-467B-92F2-087D6284806F.jpeg

I think it’s a matter of trimming and how the black seals look against the color of your car.

Last edited:
For comparison sake, this is what my wife's Beetle looks like. Seems like pretty similar design, although this makes me wonder what some actual luxury sedans look like there (for example, any Audi/BMW pics of this area?).

Looks like Tesla didn't spend too much R&D on these seals but I was hoping for a little more quality at that class...

door.jpg