Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Everyone have to wait a long time for Tesla Energy to Resolve an issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

I have a complete energy setup at home (Solar Panels, Inverter, 2 Powerwalls, Home Energy Gateway) and it's experiencing a fault. After many days of waiting on Infinite Phone Hold and jumping through a variety of remote diagnostics hoops, Tesla determined that the fault cannot be fixed remotely. As such, Tesla needs to send a technician to fix the problem in person.

The earliest they can send a technician? A MONTH!

Is it just me, or is this delay excessive? In 20 years of home ownership, the longest I've ever had to wait for ANY kind of home service - from a busted water heater, to the cable box not working, to the air conditioner not conditioning, to a roof leak, etc - has been a few days.

The various people I've spoken to in Tesla's scheduling department don't even make the slightest attempt to justify this kind of wait, instead offering variations on the themes of "the schedule is what it is" and "this is the scheduling process" and so forth. Multiple attempts to push up the data and/or escalate have been unsuccessful.

For everyone that has required onsite energy support - has this been your experience as well? Indifferent and vacuous phone support, lengthly wait times for onsite support?

Either way, the whole experience has soured me on both the product and the company. Before I was an enthusiastic cheerleader for this energy system - I couldn't help myself but show the phone app to anyone that cared to see it and couldn't recommend the system enough. Now, I'm not so sure - if anyone asks what I think of Tesla's energy products now, my answer will be qualified at best. To say nothing of purchasing their cars (which I was considering, but I don't feel like waiting a month to get a failed Autopilot fixed).

Fruitcake

Greetings,

I have a complete energy setup at home (Solar Panels, Inverter, 2 Powerwalls, Home Energy Gateway) and it's experiencing a fault. After many days of waiting on Infinite Phone Hold and jumping through a variety of remote diagnostics hoops, Tesla determined that the fault cannot be fixed remotely. As such, Tesla needs to send a technician to fix the problem in person.

Is it just me, or is this delay excessive? In 20 years of home ownership, the longest I've ever had to wait for ANY kind of home service - from a busted water heater, to the cable box not working, to the air conditioner not conditioning, to a roof leak, etc - has been a few days.

The various people I've spoken to in Tesla's scheduling department don't even make the slightest attempt to justify this kind of wait, instead offering variations on the themes of "the schedule is what it is" and "this is the scheduling process" and so forth. Multiple attempts to push up the data and/or escalate have been unsuccessful.

For everyone that has required onsite energy support - has this been your experience as well? Indifferent and vacuous phone support, lengthly wait times for onsite support?

Either way, the whole experience has soured me on both the product and the company. Before I was an enthusiastic cheerleader for this energy system - I couldn't help myself but show the phone app to anyone that cared to see it and couldn't recommend the system enough. Now, I'm not so sure - if anyone asks what I think of Tesla's energy products now, my answer will be qualified at best. To say nothing of purchasing their cars (which I was considering, but I don't feel like waiting a month to get a failed Autopilot fixed).

Fruitcake
Wait, you went with the cheapest provider, right? And how do these get to be this cheap? Offering full timely service? Just do not understand how some think there service, or lack of, is a surprise after what seems like many years of post here. I paid more, but got my solar installed timely, and any issues they fixed quickly. what really exceeded my expectations is they replaced all the dry wall that was removed, and taped and put mud on. The extra cost for piece of mind, let alone getting install and PTO quickly was well worth it.

• Disagree
Reactions: morbidz
My experiences with Tesla Energy were very similar. I haven't got PTO yet 5 months after the installation. They took a month to install and haven't reimburse the damages they did during the installation. The Problem Resolution personal only replied an email every other weeks...

I haven't paid them yet but no one cared about it. I don't know what kind of business they run!

To answer the thread question, yes, some others have reported long lead times such as this in getting their equipment repaired. Its pretty unacceptable, in my opinion, for something to take a month or more to even get someone out to look at it.

The point that @h2ofun is making, is that tesla in general tends to be cheaper than third party installers, and that has to come from somewhere. While its true that, in general, tesla is cheaper than third party installers, that doesnt mean that waiting "months" is something that should be acceptable, but it is the reality right now.

With that being said, you joined today to make this complaint, even though its couched as a question, it really isnt a question (as can be seen by the content of your post). Thats fine, we dont prevent people from complaining here on TMC, but, its apparent thats what this was (a complaint, couched as a question).

I happen to agree with the premise that this is unacceptable btw, just not a particular fan of the "pretend to ask a question but its really just a rant" type complaint.

Reactions: kairojya and h2ofun
My experiences with Tesla Energy were very similar. I haven't got PTO yet 5 months after the installation. They took a month to install and haven't reimburse the damages they did during the installation. The Problem Resolution personal only replied an email every other weeks...

I haven't paid them yet but no one cared about it. I don't know what kind of business they run!
Sorry to hear, but just for purposes of clarification, my system has been installed and up for over a year. This is post-installation support.

Fruitcake

To answer the thread question, yes, some others have reported long lead times such as this in getting their equipment repaired. Its pretty unacceptable, in my opinion, for something to take a month or more to even get someone out to look at it.

The point that @h2ofun is making, is that tesla in general tends to be cheaper than third party installers, and that has to come from somewhere. While its true that, in general, tesla is cheaper than third party installers, that doesnt mean that waiting "months" is something that should be acceptable, but it is the reality right now.

With that being said, you joined today to make this complaint, even though its couched as a question, it really isnt a question (as can be seen by the content of your post). Thats fine, we dont prevent people from complaining here on TMC, but, its apparent thats what this was (a complaint, couched as a question).

I happen to agree with the premise that this is unacceptable btw, just not a particular fan of the "pretend to ask a question but its really just a rant" type complaint.
It's both a complaint AND a question. Yes, I am clearly complaining about Tesla's responsiveness. My QUESTION is - is my experience typical or not? And if not, then what is the reason? Is is the time of year? Is it geographic - do people in other parts of the country experience better or worse support?

And the REASON I want to know that is whether I should continue investing in Tesla products (like their automobiles) and/or recommending them to others. If my support experience is an exception, that's one thing. If it's the norm, that's another.

Fruitcake

Greetings,

Fruitcake

Your Tesla Energy customer service (or lack of) experience is quite common.

Be glad you didn't order Tesla solar roof.

They installed my panels in early July. I called within a week saying they forgot the Neurio device so I can monitor home usage. They told me they'd be back on their earliest date - end of October.
At least (it sounds like) your system is working. Mine isn't. Quite a big difference.

If all I'd lost was the metering, but the system was otherwise behaving nominally, then fine - I could wait a month for a fix - even longer. But my Powerwalls are not charging as a result of the issue (which is also metering-related). Now waiting a month is a real problem.

What is the actual issue? Perhaps someone here has had that issue and can give feedback? An example of this is, we have had people have solar edge inverters go bad and work with solaredge to get a replacement out for tesla to install, vs waiting for tesla to get that replacement.

(and I am the one who changed the thread title).

What is the actual issue? Perhaps someone here has had that issue and can give feedback? An example of this is, we have had people have solar edge inverters go bad and work with solaredge to get a replacement out for tesla to install, vs waiting for tesla to get that replacement.

Yep, I thought the tread title was out of line. You are more flexible moderating than me. I would have probably killed the thread. And if someone challenges me on stuff like this, Yep, I delete the person. Just not worth my effort having to manage .......

Still waiting for the person to say yep, I elected to use the cheapest company. Yep, I did my reviews BEFORE I went with the company. But, I did it anyways, since I thought I could make them do what I wanted. :)

Now if this post if out of line, please delete. Just gets SO SO old having new folks post and complain about something EVERYONE knows about.

Yep, I thought the tread title was out of line. You are more flexible moderating than me. I would have probably killed the thread. And if someone challenges me on stuff like this, Yep, I delete the person. Just not worth my effort having to manage .......

Still waiting for the person to say yep, I elected to use the cheapest company. Yep, I did my reviews BEFORE I went with the company. But, I did it anyways, since I thought I could make them do what I wanted. :)

Now if this post if out of line, please delete. Just gets SO SO old having new folks post and complain about something EVERYONE knows about.

I am pretty flexible actually, and try not to take things personally. With that being said, I do need to ask you to dial this down some because this line of conversation is just going to spur a confrontation.

I know you have strong opinions on this, but would ask that you express them in a little less confrontational manner.

Tne problem is with the metering in the Home Energy Gateway. There's only one place to go for that.

Tne problem is with the metering in the Home Energy Gateway. There's only one place to go for that.

Hmm, ok. When you say "net metering" the meaning I understand for that is in relation to solar export to the utility, but earlier in this thread you said "my powerwalls are not charging". Powerwalls only charge in the US from solar, but solar > powerwall isnt considered net metering.

Perhaps we are not using the terms in the same manner. In any case, we did have someone here with a gateway issue where their powerwalls were not charging.

That thread was here:

Perhaps there is something in there that can help.

Yep, I admit it - I'm a cheapskate. That's why I'm only wearing an Omega Speedmaster on my wrist, instead of a Patek Philippe.

I do not understand the "you should have known better" argument. How? It's not like "Tesla Support Is Terrible" is pasted on every billboard from New York to Los Angeles. It's not on the evening news. I bet if the clue "Their Support Is Terrible" came up on Jeopardy, even Matt Amodio wouldn't know the question.

It only ever occurred to me to buy Tesla Powerwalls from... Tesla. Who's going to know a product better than the product's manufacturer?

That it matters for analysis - Tesla charged me $25K for a 5kW system with 2 Powerwalls and all associated hardware. And that's the price that I paid - I didn't even try to haggle them. Was that too cheap? You tell me.

Fruitcake

Reactions: sorka
Wait, you went with the cheapest provider, right? And how do these get to be this cheap? Offering full timely service? Just do not understand how some think there service, or lack of, is a surprise after what seems like many years of post here. I paid more, but got my solar installed timely, and any issues they fixed quickly. what really exceeded my expectations is they replaced all the dry wall that was removed, and taped and put mud on. The extra cost for piece of mind, let alone getting install and PTO quickly was well worth it.

Just empathize a bit with Fruitcake… Tesla doesn’t brag about being the lowest cost/bargain-vin option when customers go to Tesla.com. And Tesla isn't really that bad when looking at the review sites. Personally, I didn't realize Tesla was the cutthroat company beating margins to a pulp until after I came to TMC. Prior to that I was just working with Tesla just like any other solar company.

Tesla's sales channel is pretty good at talking about how their solution is the best in the business, and they have a "world class" group of installers and partners. I think people frequenting TMC see the examples of Tesla ghosting customers or otherwise being difficult to work with... but your average customer doesn't read internet forums.

Bottom line, Tesla's public image is that of a premium/reputable option ... and it doesn't make sense to beat up a new forum member because you think they got what they bargained for dealing with a cutthroat solar company.

Look at Tesla's 4-star average on energysage with a bunch of 5-star happy customers

Things drop to 2.96 for Tesla Energy on Solar Reviews.

But V3 is only a 3.66... they're not some panacea of magic over there either even though your experience was much better

Reactions: kairojya
Hmm, ok. When you say "net metering" the meaning I understand for that is in relation to solar export to the utility, but earlier in this thread you said "my powerwalls are not charging". Powerwalls only charge in the US from solar, but solar > powerwall isnt considered net metering.

Perhaps we are not using the terms in the same manner. In any case, we did have someone here with a gateway issue where their powerwalls were not charging.

That thread was here:

Perhaps there is something in there that can help.
By "metering" I mean the actual meters that measure energy flow in the system. Right now, the app shows everything in my home at 0kW. It was reading 0kW from the solar array today even though there was bright sunlight.

As "support" explains it to me, Powerwalls are only supposed to charge from solar. Right now, they think that it is perpetual nightfall outside, because the meters constantly read 0kW from the solar array. So the batteries don't charge. That's the problem.

Fruitcake

Status
Not open for further replies.