Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does exceeding 80mph or unbuckling seatbelt count against FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happens if I manually press on the accelerator during an Autopilot session that exceeds its automation limit (90 MPH for radar and 80 MPH for radarless).

So let's talk about FSD beta driving on Autopilot at 80 MPH: Nice and quiet with no error message. I would then go ahead and press on the accelerator to 81 MPH and the Strikeout would happen right away. There's no second chance to recover it. I then have to put the car in "Park" to start to use Autopilot again.

If I got Strikeout too many times (some say 2, some say 3) then although the FSD beta is revoked, the public FSD is still active so I can still put the car in "Park" to start to use Autopilot again.
From personal experience this type of Autopilot jail (80 mph speed exceeded) DOES NOT count as a strike against beta FSD. You do have to put the car in park and I think exit the vehicle too (not sure on exiting, but that's my routine, it may not be needed) to re-enable Autopilot. I still have the FSD beta with no displayed strikes and I've got a few of those speed-based Autopilot jail incidents including on previous beta versions. I don't think that I am that special that mine don't count but who knows :)

I did do the 2-thumb salute to Elon after each incident though, based on the forgiveness routine for Safety score. After car's infotainment came back I did park and opened the door for the Autopilot get-out-of-jail card. YMMV

Reactions: K5TRX
I've never trusted AP to drive >90mph and I just got VO AP with FSD beta and haven't pushed it past 80 yet so I haven't experienced this. Is it the instant you exceed SPEED_MAX that you get put in AP time-out or does it give you some heads up like the "pay attention" warnings do?
It immediately cuts off autodrive and you can't reinitialize until you stop. No warning or delay. I don't drive over 90 usually either, it happened to me when I needed to accelerate around some trucks that seemed to be wobbling into my area.

Email says “while using FSD Beta” for the strikeout to count though. And on the freeway you definitely aren’t using FSD Beta!

Hopefully we’ll find out soon. Seems like people will exceed 80mph and lock themselves out all the time. So should find out soon.

Reports are coming in that FSD beta is revoked after driving on highways/freeways:

"I got suspended from FSD today, last week I got a strike for looking out the side window on a long straight empty highway (I-40) on an 8 hour drive after getting a few of those "pay attention" warnings and got put in AP jail for the rest of the drive .. then today I was setting up to navigate to a supercharger while driving on another long straight mostly empty road (110 in Palm Springs), looking at the screen, and got a second strike for not paying attention. After I got to the SC and put my car in park, a message popped up saying that I'm suspended, but could get it back in a future software update. Disappointing, but I guess my fault since I know the rules, but I do think the "Please pay attention" warning is a bit overly sensitive."

"I had almost the exact same situation the other day, and it was my only time I've been put in AP jail after > 2 years of owning my Model 3. On the highway initially doing 77 mph with AP active, I floored it to get clear of a semi that started to change into my lane, but I almost immediately got the red steering wheel for going > 80 mph. I'd done this in several situations in the past without issue in my radar-equipped Model 3, but in the moment I forgot about the limit lowering from 90 mph to 80 mph with VO."

In summary, the questions in this thread may wish that as the technology is better with radarless and pure vision, the nanny sitter would not be as strict.

However, it's the opposite. It's much stricter with FSD beta in comparison with existing public FSD.

You mean public AP / NOA. There is no public "FSD".

There are currently 2 prices:

Autopilot: It’s standard option.

FSD: It’s expensive but it gives you more than 2 features of tacc and AutoSteer such as you mentioned above AP/NOA. It’s a public version that only costs money without going through the process of Safety Score.

FSD: It’s expensive but it gives you more than 2 features of tacc and AutoSteer such as you mentioned above AP/NOA. It’s a public version that only costs money without going through the process of Safety Score.
I see what you mean. I guess I'm used to the old EAP terminology ... so I use "AP" to refer to the publicly available FSD features. Though, technically basic AP is just TACC + lane keeping.

...I get the apply message regularly when my hands are on the wheel because I have always had a light touch...
Turn the left thumb wheel down a click. It is 100% guaranteed to instantly answer the nag.
...As an aside, sitting in the lot waiting for my wife the windshield cleaned itself - did the camera tell the car to do that?
Yes. FSD controls the wipers. You can't turn automatic wipers off while in FSD.

I got kicked out for going above 80mph with fsd 10.4 (on highway). It didn't count against me in the Autopilot settings. Apparently your strikes are mentioned in the Autopilot settings under FSD beta.

Edit: I have to add that I recently got 10.6 this morning, so the strikeouts may have reset on version updates?

Last edited:
...I have to add that I recently got 10.6 this morning, so the strikeouts may have reset on version updates?...

Maybe! Originally, I thought the FSD beta would be revoked permanently. However, it's much lighter of a penalty now: It's only a temporary suspension for the rest of that firmware level until the next firmware level comes out.

Last edited:
In my experience, you have a few seconds above 80mph before it locks you out. I've had a few situations where I manually used the accelerator to pass, glance at my speed and see it over 80 and immediately let off the accelerator. No disengagement from AP/FSD.

What has been confirmed here is that going over 80mph does not count as an FSD suspension strikeout.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Maybe! Originally, I thought the FSD beta would be revoked permanently. However, it's much lighter of a penalty now: It's only a temporary suspension for the rest of that firmware level until the next firmware level comes out.
This is also not confirmed, or is untrue. plenty of people reporting remaining locked out when 10.6 came out. Also lots of people saying their old strikeouts did not get reset when 10.6 came out.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
This is also not confirmed, or is untrue. plenty of people reporting remaining locked out when 10.6 came out. Also lots of people saying their old strikeouts did not get reset when 10.6 came out.

Maybe it's untrue for someone else but for Tesla, the rule is clear in the written words: "Full Self-Driving feature suspended based on your recent driving data. Feature will be restored with an upcoming software release" (Picture credit @dansev) :

kicked-out-jpeg.741265

Maybe it's untrue for someone else but for Tesla, the rule is clear in the written words: "Full Self-Driving feature suspended based on your recent driving data. Feature will be restored with an upcoming software release" (Picture credit @dansev) :

kicked-out-jpeg.741265

I’m hoping the future software release referred to here is the production public release of FSD Beta, not a future beta release of FSD Beta.

It’s so hard to get locked out (notwithstanding some sort of hardware issue, but even then you’d logically just disengage FSD, if you kept getting nagged) that it makes sense to just lock people out permanently, until production build in a year or two or three. Honestly less hassle and easier driving too, for those losing the “privilege.”

I just received my first FSD strike after sitting in line waiting for a Covid test. It was a dirt road where I did not intend to use auto pilot at all. It was a long line of cars inching along for approximately two hours. I would Simply stop the car by pressing the brake, and then wait, and the car would invariably switch itself into park to “prevent a rollaway.“. Well, apparently, in one of the instances where I was putting the car in drive, I must’ve accidentally switched the car on FSD Beta, although I don’t recall hearing that auto pilot tone. And since the car was not moving, I was looking at my phone for a few minutes while the car was stopped, and then when it gets time to move forward, there was a message on the screen saying that auto pilot had been disengaged for improper use of Beta. That’s rather frustrating. Strangely, all of the auto pilot visualizations were gone, and despite putting the car in park, exiting the car, and reentering, I could not reenable even basic auto pilot. No cars showed up on the visualization screen. eventually auto pilot was able to be re-enabled after letting the car sleep for a few hours in the garage. Is this normal? Also, has anyone had Beta re-enabled after getting the Beta access removed? Thanks

...has anyone had Beta re-enabled after getting the Beta access removed? Thanks
The release note explains very clearly that your strikeouts will be reset to 0. See:

I just had this experience: had to accelerate on highway to pass a truck spilling rocks & debris all over the road. Went slightly above 85mph, autopilot panicked & quit for the remainder of the trip. But that didn’t count as a strike as I check later.

Seems like simply going above 85mph is not a strike. It will give you an obvious warning to take over, and only when you don’t take over after a while then it becomes a real strike.

Things change fast though I’m on beta 11.3.4