Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does free supercharging transfer on sale?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m about to sell my ‘14 MS, and was informed by Tesla that the free supercharging that it came with does not transfer to the new owner. However, I’m looking at some of the other listings here for the same model year, and many of them mention free supercharging as a feature. Seems like that has the potential to add quite a bit to the resale value, so just trying to find out what the real scoop is.

Reactions: ChopinBlues
If you bought the car new, it transfers. The version of free unlimited supercharging for life that came with those cars isn't the same as those that were delivered after January of 2017. That version only applied to the current owner and doesn't transfer. What you have will transfer from private party to private party free of charge until Tesla figures out a way to strip it from those cars too.

Reactions: jjrandorin

The exception is that calling Tesla and asking them is useless, they seem to always say it will transfer regardless if it will actually transfer or not.

Caveat: No matter what you do or check, there is no guarantee that Tesla will transfer it, or won't strip it out later. If they fail to transfer it, then you could be on the hook for unlimited supercharging for the life of the car. If it was me, I would look up the code SC01, SC05 etc, and post that along with the above or similar article, but make no guarantees. When I sold mine I told the guy, "everything I know says it should transfer, but I cannot control or guarantee what Tesla will do, it is at your risk" He bought the car and he hasn't had issues, but if he ever does, they are his issues, not mine.

TL/DR = nobody can say for certain if it will transfer, since ownership goes through tesla.com verification.

I bought a 2014 P85D 2 months ago, free SC and Prem Data xferred without a hitch.
Seller signed over title.
I setup a new tesla.com account
uploaded title front and back to verify ownership.
In 10 mins, i was the owner of the vehicle so i am assuming its a very automated or click-approve manual process.
All the options he showed me on his tesla.com account for this vehicle remained on my tesla account.
Will it forever remain? nobody can guarantee, tesla is mysterious and peculiar and has a hundred different answers on this.

If Tesla is re-selling a used tela, for sure they strip free SC, prem data and FSD.

• Informative
Has anyone purchased a car from one of the major Tesla dealer/resellers (e.g. like Auto Centrix near Dallas, TX) that had FUSC advertised (sold to them by a private party, not acquired via auction), and then later had FUSC and Prem Data removed by Tesla? In other words, a knowledgeable dealer who knows to check for the SC01 code (not some random dealer that doesn't bother transferring the car to their own account).

I was going to ask this in the main S forum but just saw this new thread. I've read through many of the prior threads on this but got the sense that many instances of "mysterious" removal are from instances where it legitimately shouldn't have transferred. (I know Tesla says that they will remove them following a dealer sale, but if a dealer is a really small dealer using the owner's personal account, they may not realize it's a dealer (vs VROOM or such), and thus it may not get removed in many cases).

I just had a chat exchange with Tesla support. My car is 2014. They confirmed it does transfer over - she triple checked. I have the receipt.
ChatTranscript.png
ChatTranscript2.png
ChatTranscript3.png

Reactions: 2101Guy