Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does FSD Beta still require you to hit the stalk or accelerator at every intersection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, I have seen the stalk prompt appear in a couple of instances on stoplights while using the beta. I'm not sure what exactly triggers it though.
Yes, if you have watched lots of videos you will see it occasionally. Beta is not Level 3 yet and requires and needs constant supervision. So it doesn't often ask for an intervention or disengagement but can ask or need at any time. However driving Beta does REQURE you to intervene and disengage at various times as it "does the worst thing at the wrong time" without any warning.

You don't have to hit the stalk/pedal for every traffic light.

Instead with fsd beta, in my experience, you end up re-adjusting autopilot Max speed every time you pass a speed limit sign, or turn into a new road. And the occasional 'tightly hold the steering wheel to stop the car from swerving randomly'. So still lots of interactions, just of a different type.

Reactions: loquitur
Same with stop signs.
Well, in my experience this is true if you like creeping through intersections at about 2 mph after a 10 second pause for who knows what...I don't have the patience for that, and I know the people behind me don't, so it's pretty much standard procedure for me to use the accelerator when going through intersections.

Actually it does pretty good at traffic lights and 4 way stops where you have 4 cars all lined up. It seems to really go slow when there are no other cars at the intersection.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Sometimes when turning onto a high-speed road at a stop sign, the FSD Beta will ask for confirmation. At least it did that at 10.8. I don't remember seeing it at 10.10.2, but then I just disable FSD when making that kind of turn because even if it worked, it would be painfully slow.

Sometimes when turning onto a high-speed road at a stop sign, the FSD Beta will ask for confirmation. At least it did that at 10.8. I don't remember seeing it at 10.10.2, but then I just disable FSD when making that kind of turn because even if it worked, it would be painfully slow.
Just press the accelerator pedal instead. That is also confirmation same a Stalk. Same for anytime Beta is starting to slow/going to slow/slowing down unnecessarily, just add some accelerator pedal.

Just curious. Autopilot is great and I'm hesitant to opt into the beta but the stalk/accelerator at every light is very annoying and im wondering if the FSD beta fixes that.
Not in most cases. It is about the only good thing I can say about the beta at this point. As others have stated it does sometimes just sit still when it should go, but I have not seen the stalk message since I got the beta in 10/21. Others say they have, but I think it is exceedingly rare.

Instead with fsd beta, in my experience, you end up re-adjusting autopilot Max speed every time you pass a speed limit sign, or turn into a new road. And the occasional 'tightly hold the steering wheel to stop the car from swerving randomly'. So still lots of interactions, just of a different type.
Yes, Winnipeg has plenty of these signs.
Pass a school zone sign, any time day or night, and the car thinks the speed limit is 30km/h until you turn onto another street or encounter a speed limit sign. The end zone sign is a simple "end school zone" home plate shaped yellow sign. Since most of these are on non-arterial roads (allegedly) it's unlikely you will find a sign indicating a proper speed, the roads are default 50kph. This is the case with Autopilot, I suspect no improvement with FSD with this unique local quirk.
17842999.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Yes, Winnipeg has plenty of these signs.
Pass a school zone sign, any time day or night, and the car thinks the speed limit is 30km/h until you turn onto another street or encounter a speed limit sign. The end zone sign is a simple "end school zone" home plate shaped yellow sign. Since most of these are on non-arterial roads (allegedly) it's unlikely you will find a sign indicating a proper speed, the roads are default 50kph. This is the case with Autopilot, I suspect no improvement with FSD with this unique local quirk.
View attachment 787066
In my area in the US, school zone signs have flashing lights indicating when they are active. In any event, FSD beta ignores them altogether so, when they are active, one must dial down the speed manually.

From what I can tell, school zone signs come in many variations in the US. Interpreting them all is going to be a significant challenge for an autonomous vehicle.