Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does FSD Beta use the steering wheel or the interior camera to know if youre paying attention?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keeping your hands on the wheel is so important with FSD beta. You get instantaneous sensory feedback when FSD is going rogue. Information that may not be as helpful as the visualizations because your eyes are on the road (where they should be).

I've had FSD Beta for about a month. It has periodically complained "Cabin camera unavailable". In the last week it has started to give continuous hand on wheel and "Pay attention warnings." The first time it did it I flailed around torquing the wheel and staring down the road and it eventually did a Forced Disengage and counted a strike against me. Since then, I've been manually disengaging when it gets into that mode; so, no more strikes. I've scheduled a service appointment.

In the meanwhile, I'd like some feedback on the positioning of the cabin camera. I my M3 I can't see it from my normal driving position. It's behind the headliner. I have to duck my head down to see the camera. If I can't see the lens, it can't see my eyes. How is the camera positioned on your car?

I've had FSD Beta for about a month. It has periodically complained "Cabin camera unavailable". In the last week it has started to give continuous hand on wheel and "Pay attention warnings." The first time it did it I flailed around torquing the wheel and staring down the road and it eventually did a Forced Disengage and counted a strike against me. Since then, I've been manually disengaging when it gets into that mode; so, no more strikes. I've scheduled a service appointment.

In the meanwhile, I'd like some feedback on the positioning of the cabin camera. I my M3 I can't see it from my normal driving position. It's behind the headliner. I have to duck my head down to see the camera. If I can't see the lens, it can't see my eyes. How is the camera positioned on your car?
In the Model 3, the interior camera is above the rearview mirror. You have to look close to see it.

It isn't really looking at your eyeballs. It is using your body language and head position to determine if you are paying attention. It is another neural net running in the car.

Please note that you can use the scroll buttons to indicate steering wheel use instead of torquing the wheel.

The cabin camera is well below the headliner and I can see it from any seat height in the Model 3, but it sounds like I'm much shorter than you are.

Please note that you can use the scroll buttons to indicate steering wheel use instead of torquing the wheel.

The cabin camera is well below the headliner and I can see it from any seat height in the Model 3, but it sounds like I'm much shorter than you are.
Thanks for the info on the camera position. I'm 5'9". So, average US male height. Tesla replaced my windshield a few years ago. It's possible they reattached the mirror-camera assembly wrong or changed the headliner positioning. I'm at least having them check that at the service appointment.

Thanks also for the note on the scroll wheel. I didn't remember that the first time it went berserk, but have tried it on the several times since then. No better luck than turning the wheel. It's not totally clear which warning it's giving. The icon is shows is of two red hands, but the text says Pay Attention to the Road. Meanwhile it flashes the display blue as it has always done for the steering wheel alerts.

Here is what the camera sees. No way it can't see your face unless you are leaning your head on the window.

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 6.00.25 PM.png

Here is what the camera sees. No way it can't see your face unless you are leaning your head on the window.

View attachment 819355
I did some Googling and that looks like one of Green's photos. I saw in the same article a photo looking at the camera-mirror assembly. The camera lens is clearly visible. On my car it's up behind the front edge of the headliner unless I duck way down. I'm interested to hear what Tesla service is going to say.

Last edited:

View attachment 819355
Following up on this: I took it to service and there was both a fault in the camera, which the replaced under warranty, plus the headliner was blocking the camera view. They clipped the headliner back into place properly now I can see the camera fine. I presume it now sees me better.

Nothing/no one can see that face. By the way, why do people wear a mask when alone in a car?
Sometimes (not all) its persons who have MAJOR allergies, and wearing a good quality mask can really reduce the allergy impact.

Other times? Its persons who are idiots thinking they are protecting themselves against a virus, even though you cant catch it in a car BY YOURSELF

Reactions: Ramphex
Nothing/no one can see that face. By the way, why do people wear a mask when alone in a car?
Sometimes (not all) its persons who have MAJOR allergies, and wearing a good quality mask can really reduce the allergy impact.

Other times? Its persons who are idiots thinking they are protecting themselves against a virus, even though you cant catch it in a car BY YOURSELF
I've worn a mask in the car dozens of times because it's more convenient than putting it away on a short drive, or more often I simply forgot I had it on.

I have and use FSD Beta all the time. My cabin camera has never worked, it says so every morning. Out of the blue last week the whole autopilot affair went nuts. It started alerting to "pay attention to the road". Nothing would satisfy it. I couldn't use Autopilot at all. Putting the dog in the driver's seat, with his red carpool cap, his Covid mask, and his leash tied to the steering wheel, didn't help either. Double tap down and the avalanche of warnings would begin, finally ending in my one and only FSD Strike. Humiliation. Fear of losing the Beta.

Losing FSD Beta would be intolerable. I have a "condition" that qualifies me for blue plates, so driving in manual is a quadruple misery. Stone age. Absurd. No fun. Hazardous. Newly handicapped Nicki and I together nearly ran over some pedestrians in the front blind spot to prove it.

We were 200 miles from home, so my usual happy FSD Beta drive had to be surrendered to my wife, who doesn't mind driving in manual. I got a hold of Tesla on the phone and they squeezed me in for an appointment near home the next day. Service was great, they replaced the camera under warranty, on a weekend, yet. Everything works fine again, except the dog now keeps demanding to drive all the time.

Last edited: