Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does FSD Computer Upgrade also Upgrade the MCU?

graiz

Sep 30, 2018
Boston, MA
I'm on an MCU1 with Autopilot 2.5. Does anyone know if the Full Self Driving computer upgrade is the same as upgrading the MCU? Right now on V10 Cuphead, Tesla Theater & Caraoke aren't enabled. After a fsd computer upgrade should I expect that anything changes?

Saghost

Oct 9, 2013
Delaware
No. And the MCU upgrade is more involved than it might appear - Tesla didn't just make a drop in component change, they changed the system architecture.

On MCU1 cars, the driver's display and the MCU are independent, each running on it's own CPU and tied together through the CANBus. On MCU2 cars, the driver's screen is a second display for the single much more capable CPU in the MCU.

So there are significant changes to the wiring harness and driver's display - not sure how much else might be changed. In theory Tesla could make an upgrade configuration that's something in between, but I'm not aware of any reason to believe they will.

boaterva

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Apr 2, 2016
Northern Virginia, USA
It is supposed to take under 30 minutes to swap the AP CPU board (in back of the glove compartment). I hazard a swap for the MCU if it ever exists would take several/many hours (if the binnacle has to also be swapped) (based on how long it takes to even replace an MCU).

I doubt this ever is available no matter what Elon ‘said’. See the monster thread on the topic.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC