Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does FSD in a used Model S help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if when selling a used Model S if the paid in full FSD helps on resell price?

We have been entertaining the idea of selling our 2020 MSP with all options except 21" wheels (we have 19" gray slipstream wheels) with only 6K miles. We drive it infrequently and have other vehicles.

Cannot any comps with that configuration.

Thank you

M

Yes. Anyone who says these paid software options (even if not fully fledged out) don't add nearly their initial cost to the value either 1) doesn't know what the hell they're talking about or 2) is trying to buy it from you at a discount by saying it adds no value. I've been watching the market for years now and it's pretty obvious to see what cars have what options based on the price. Rare is the car that sells for $10k less that has FSD paid for included. Super rare.

Wondering if when selling a used Model S if the paid in full FSD helps on resell price?

We have been entertaining the idea of selling our 2020 MSP with all options except 21" wheels (we have 19" gray slipstream wheels) with only 6K miles. We drive it infrequently and have other vehicles.

Cannot any comps with that configuration.

Thank you

M
Nope. FSD has a ~10% take rate with Tesla owners. So that means you need to find a buyer that falls into that 10% category.

And even then, don’t expect to recoup any more than half of what you originally paid if you are lucky.

When I was looking for my current S earlier this year, FSD was a 'must' for me. So when I found a car that didn't have it, I mentally added $12k to the asking price. I also found a lot of dealers who didn't know what FSD was, thought all Teslas had it, or thought that "Full Self Driving Computer" meant that FSD had been purchased. Or maybe they were all being duplicitous ...

I don't think that this necessarily implies a $12k (or now $15k?) price differential in the used market. A lot of used buyers don't want FSD, or aren't prepared to pay for it. And the re-introduction of EAP probably also hurts the value of FSD; if EAP had been available when I was looking, I'd have been perfectly happy with that.

FSD is tied to the vehicle and is not transferrable. Therefore the value of FSD depreciates over time along with the value of the vehicle, eventually reaching $0.
You are conflicting yourself. It most certainly is transferable. Now if it gets into Teslas hands they can add or remove anything they want. But if sold privately or even to a dealer it should stay with the vehicle.

Reactions: WilliamG
Whether or not it adds value or not depends on who buys the car. If I wanted to buy a Model Y and none of the other cars I was looking at had FSD, but yours did in this hypothetical, I would ideally look at buying yours. It all depends on market like most things. If its a feature that the buyer wants, and no other cars have it, then your car is the one that is going to be looked at. If your price is in line with everyone elses without FSD, then the buyer obviously gets a "deal" all things being considered.....thats how I would look at it. Its a feature, are you gong to get $10K added to your comparable value......not even close, but will it possibly add a few thousand, absolutely will! When I temporarily had my car with FSD for sale, everyone that looked at it wanted FSD, so trust me if they want your car the FSD is something they are looking at. If you look at other Model Ys with similiar mileage, color, etc, see what they are asking for a comparable car with FSD. I would put my price around what that is. Only you can determine what you are willing to sell it for obviously, but I think its definitely a feature that adds value to the buyer who wants it.

Reactions: JimmyB
Whether or not it adds value or not depends on who buys the car. If I wanted to buy a Model Y and none of the other cars I was looking at had FSD, but yours did in this hypothetical, I would ideally look at buying yours. It all depends on market like most things. If its a feature that the buyer wants, and no other cars have it, then your car is the one that is going to be looked at. If your price is in line with everyone elses without FSD, then the buyer obviously gets a "deal" all things being considered.....thats how I would look at it. Its a feature, are you gong to get $10K added to your comparable value......not even close, but will it possibly add a few thousand, absolutely will! When I temporarily had my car with FSD for sale, everyone that looked at it wanted FSD, so trust me if they want your car the FSD is something they are looking at. If you look at other Model Ys with similiar mileage, color, etc, see what they are asking for a comparable car with FSD. I would put my price around what that is. Only you can determine what you are willing to sell it for obviously, but I think its definitely a feature that adds value to the buyer who wants it.
Well of course it will help if it’s free.

Will he sell it better, if he spends $12k and jacks the price up $12k, no. Will he sell better if he spends $12k and only jacks it up $2k? Maybe. But he’ll sell it better if he leaves it off and drops his price $10k (same thing). Price to acquire is king.

People will always compare rock bottom base configurations when shopping. Many are already stretching their budget looking for a used high end vehicle.

Let them add it, if they want it. They might only want EAP. They might want it next year when budget allows, they might want subscribe only when needed. All options are open with it off.

You are conflicting yourself. It most certainly is transferable. Now if it gets into Teslas hands they can add or remove anything they want. But if sold privately or even to a dealer it should stay with the vehicle.

I think what @Carnook meant was that's is not transferable to a different Tesla. So, seller doesn't have any choice to make -- FSD goes with the car when it is sold. Unless (as you say) car is sold to Tesla, because they'll remove FSD to try to get new owner to pay for it again.

Reactions: Carnook
Well of course it will help if it’s free.

Will he sell it better, if he spends $12k and jacks the price up $12k, no. Will he sell better if he spends $12k and only jacks it up $2k? Maybe. But he’ll sell it better if he leaves it off and drops his price $10k (same thing). Price to acquire is king.

People will always compare rock bottom base configurations when shopping. Many are already stretching their budget looking for a used high end vehicle.

Let them add it, if they want it. They might only want EAP. They might want it next year when budget allows, they might want subscribe only when needed. All options are open with it off.
Totally agree that it would be foolish to add FSD pre-sale to a car that doesn't have it. In this case, though, from the OP's signature the car already has FSD. So I guess the question is how much (if anything) does it add?

Totally agree that it would be foolish to add FSD pre-sale to a car that doesn't have it. In this case, though, from the OP's signature the car already has FSD. So I guess the question is how much (if anything) does it add?
Oh, I didn’t catch that. It will definitely help. Help break a tie (as mentioned) or get a few thousand more. Probably won’t get Elon prices.

Reactions: JimmyB
A few thousand more easily, if the right buyer comes along and wants FSD they WILL pay $2k-$3k more, thats easy , again depends on ehat other Model Ys are fetching and of course how many of them have FSD, my Model S has FSD and people know it adds a value compared to one without, all thing being relatively equal.

I think what @Carnook meant was that's is not transferable to a different Tesla. So, seller doesn't have any choice to make -- FSD goes with the car when it is sold. Unless (as you say) car is sold to Tesla, because they'll remove FSD to try to get new owner to pay for it again.
Yes, thanks! Because FSD is tied to that one specific vehicle, and the vehicle has a limited lifespan, the value (eg $12,000) does not hold over time.

I love all of the people saying you can find FSD cars for only $2k-$3k more than cars w/o any autopilot features activated or it's completely worthless for resale. ROFL

See post #2 for data-driven information of the used Tesla Model S market. EAP cars are typically $4k ish more than non EAP cars of similar options/miles/year and FSD cars are typically $9k ish more. This is across the board and not just random outliers selected in the name of confirmation bias.

It seems that a lot of people here confuse how much THEY value FSD personally. That's not the question at hand. I personally think it's a pipe dream and wouldn't pay $15k, $12k or even $10k for it as it currently exists but that doesn't mean that the used market doesn't reflect that much (if not all) of the value of these optional software selections isn't retained in resale.

Some buyers will only buy cars with certain features so this will serve to broaden the potential buyers which may even serve to offset any depreciation of that particular asset. In this current market given how low inventory is I would have a hard time making a case of adding it to a car simply for resale as you're not competing with tons of similar cars as was the case a year or two ago. Based on this, I certainly wouldn't add anything just to resell it. Too much risk for minimal upside potential.

I think that we will start to see inventory come back but not immediately. I also think that, if it's true FSD is going from $12k to $15k soon, there may exist a situation where one could upgrade to FSD now at the lower price point and then sell their car maybe 6 months from now to a larger audience with more perceived value due to comparable replacements w/o FSD needing to pay more to get them to an apples to apples comparison.

Opinion summary: I think that adding FSD or EAP right now simply for resale value is a poor play but not for some of the wacky opinions stated previously based on zero real world information other than "Elon is a liar!" or whatever personal ax grinding is occurring that bears on relevance on the used car market.

Reactions: drtimhill