Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Full Self-Driving mode affect range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious if Full Self-Driving mode affects range. It almost seems that my Model YLR gets less range when FSD is used. I just wonder if that is the case or if other coincidental variables are involved.

would like to know other's experience with FSD and range.

Thanks.

I am curious if Full Self-Driving mode affects range. It almost seems that my Model YLR gets less range when FSD is used. I just wonder if that is the case or if other coincidental variables are involved.

would like to know other's experience with FSD and range.

Thanks.

No, it doesnt. if you are a new owner, which is an assumption I am making, you are likely to see decreased range due to changing temperature / weather from fall into winter. Nothing about "FSD" reduces range that wouldnt happen if the human driver was driving. If you set the speed on autopilot faster than you would be driving yourself, then range would be less, but thats not "FSD reduces range" (for example).

If anything, I'd think FSD would increase range, eliminating the varying foot pressure and the resulting variations in speed one would get from those. Humans are not good at maintaining a steady speed.
Thanks for the reply.
Actually I meant if FSD consumed any more energy than cruise control. I am curious because on a particular trip, cruise control was used going and FSD was used on the return side. Seemed to get slightly less range on the return trip. I know there are lots of variables involved. Just curious if FSD had any reputation of affecting range.

Thanks for the reply.
Actually I meant if FSD consumed any more energy than cruise control. I am curious because on a particular trip, cruise control was used going and FSD was used on the return side. Seemed to get slightly less range on the return trip. I know there are lots of variables involved. Just curious if FSD had any reputation of affecting range.
Oh wait. The return trip was at night, thus headlights were on.

Oh wait. The return trip was at night, thus headlights were on.

And the return trip would have been the opposite elevation change, etc if any, and doesnt take account of what weather / wind etc.

There is zero difference in consumption between traffic aware cruise control, and "Full self driving' which is basically "traffic aware cruise control with auto steering and lane change". "Auto steer and lane change" does not consume any more energy than manually steering and changing lanes, if thats your question.

I believe FSD increases consumption slightly. I notice my MS drives slightly more erratic than I do. I use brakes much less than FSD, therefor I think I get better regen hence better range than FSD. In the end, I don't have range anxiety, so its a non-issue.

Not in a large sense. Personally, I'm better than my car at seeing traffic slow down 20 cars ahead, so I'll try to go a speed that let's me not have to touch the brakes. My goal is always to catch up to traffic at a safe following distance as they accelerate to the speed I'm going. I'm better at it than my car.