Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

does "full self driving" option on a new vehicle add anything NOW?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like, for $6,000 I can add the FSD option and get these things now (not later when the FSD update comes out):

This is what the ordering website says now. Just a few days ago, it said that this option would cost more if added later, by the way.

Full Self-Driving Capability
  • Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
  • Auto Lane Change: automatic lane changes while driving on the highway.
  • Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
  • Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.

Coming later this year:

• Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • Automatic driving on city streets.
Option Selected$6,000

Includes the Full Self Driving Computer

Full Self-Driving Capability is available for purchase post-delivery, prices are likely to increase over time with new feature releases

The currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. The activation and use of these features are dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates.

Am I understanding this correctly?

thanks,

someguy

• Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
Yes.

...Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really...

It was promised for the week of April 7, 2019 but general public still have not got it. It's only available for Early Access Program members.

So, that's a no for now. But should be yes by the end of this year.

...Coming later this year:

• Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • Automatic driving on city streets
It might be too optimistic because it was promised that Tesla could do that at the end of 2017 to drive from coast to coast. It's on its second year of being late for now.

I think it will happen but I don't know when.

So, that's a maybe!

Reactions: KJD
It looks like, for $6,000 I can add the FSD option and get these things now (not later when the FSD update comes out):

This is what the ordering website says now. Just a few days ago, it said that this option would cost more if added later, by the way.

Am I understanding this correctly?

I don't think so. The first three items were all part of Enhanced Autopilot. I had all of those features before I sprang for FSD. Perhaps recently combined, but they did not require FSD. Parallel & Perpendicular Autopark have been around for years.

The last feature "Enhanced Summon" does not exist yet. Summon today can only do straight backup/forward moves. It can also auto park straight in, without a driver

The Coming later this year list is a "Maybe" at best.

My car has Enhanced Auto Pilot and I think I have the below. Is that correct or missing any of them?

NOAP and Auto Lane Change are available for new vehicles with FSD activated. These features have only recently been added, and are still rough around the edges - and should improve over time as the software is trained to properly handle more situations.

AutoPark has been available for longer, and is still hit-and-miss in detecting parking spots. It usually doesn't detect the spots we want to use - and often detect spots that aren't really parking spots (like the sidewalk next to our driveway or when sitting in heavy traffic at a stop light). Though when it does detect a parking sport, the parking seems to work well. This should also improve as the software is trained to detect parking spots better.

Enhanced Summon hasn't been released yet. Based on videos posted on YouTube, it appears some owners had Early Access to Enhanced Summon but it hasn't made it into an official release yet. Musk has indicated it should be out real soon now...

Today NOAP only works on limited access highways. Musk believes we'll see NOAP on other roads later this year.

These features are still pretty rough - and not enough to justify spending $6K. But this is only the start - Tesla is aggressively working on the FSD software - and we should see the software continue to improve every few months until it begins working well in most situations, similar to what happened with AP2 lane keeping last year.

Hi all- not looking to steal this thread but we are in a similar situation.

Sounds like unless you really want to be on the front edge of technology as it becomes available- the 6,000 would be better in the bank account for now.

I am guessing that the FSD option will drop in price in the long term and will also be much more ‘finished’.

Hi all- not looking to steal this thread but we are in a similar situation.

Sounds like unless you really want to be on the front edge of technology as it becomes available- the 6,000 would be better in the bank account for now.

I am guessing that the FSD option will drop in price in the long term and will also be much more ‘finished’.

For what it's worth, I own a 2018 EAP ModelS that has a lot of the functionality that you can only get with FSD now. There is no way I'd buy another car without those features (Nav on AP and auto lane change specifically). It makes the driving experience waaay better. Anything that gets added to FSD in the future is just a bonus for me.

The price will probably fluctuate in the coming months/years. I'll complain about it, but get over it. ;)