TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Does FW 2019.16.2 sentry mode record on AP 2.0

Discussion in 'Model X' started by G2019, May 23, 2019.

1. G2019

G2019 Member

Does latest firmware of 2019.16.2 sentry mode function record on AP 2.0?

• Funny x 2
  2. Silicon Desert

Silicon Desert Active Member

Don't you mean MCU1 vs MCU2? MCU1, no

• Disagree x 3
  3. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

Nothing to do with MCU1 vs. MCU2. MCU2 came months after AP2.5.

AP2.5 is required for recording, dash cam or sentry mode.

• Like x 1
  4. G2019

G2019 Member

I thought with 2019.16.2 firmware, they enabled recording function with sentry mode...isn't that accurate?

• Disagree x 1
  5. 4EVar

4EVar Member

On AP 2.0? Now that's interesting. Any confirmation of this by anyone?

6. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

I can confirm that it does NOT record.

I've had my stick plugged into my AP2.0/MCU1 MX since dash cam was supposedly available. With the release of 2019.16.1, files would save and all be 595 bytes and not actually play. With 2019.16.2, there are no longer files saved at all.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  7. Hilbe

Hilbe Member

Guessing @Yinn is right. I just got my 64 GB USB last night and plugged it in. Wife is currently running errands with it so will check later today to confirm.

8. Shaz

Shaz Member

I have AP 2.0, MCU 1.0, FW 2019.16.2.
    It has Sentry mode enabled on it. This is what it says in the Sentry Mode info window:

"Sentry Mode will send recorded footage to Tesla for temporary backup and feature improvement. You can enable or disable this collection any time via the DATA SHARING video clip setting in Controls > Settings > Safety & Security. Please refer to your Owner's Manual for more information".

So, no it doesn't record anything on to a USB, but seems like they are sent to Tesla if something does get recorded. I haven't had any incidents so I haven't had the need to contact Tesla for any footage.

9. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

It DOES NOT record, sorry, maybe next time.

10. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

It said the same thing in 16.1 and people smarter than me checked the traffic. Nothing was being sent then. Not sure if it changed in 16.2, but I doubt it.

IMO, if it was in a recordable and playable format. They would just make it available. I believe there are hardware restrictions that prevent video from recording.

And I think (ie, speculation) it goes beyond the cameras as my side repeaters had to be replaced. During replacement I was told it was the latest version and it would need to be configured for it to work for my car since my car was programmed for the older ones.

11. Seattle Tom

Seattle Tom Member

Nothing is recorded and nothing is sent to Tesla for HW2. It just displays the message on the screen that “Recording is Active.” It’s a nice deterrent, but not actually going to be helpful if someone keys your car since you can’t see any footage.

12. 4EVar

4EVar Member

Such a shame. Fingers crossed that they find a way to record!!!!

• Like x 1
  13. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

They can totally record, they do it all the time, they simply don’t want to spend the cycles for AP2 for whatever reason. Probably because they use the b node on AP2.5 for some of this and secondly I strongly suspect they don’t want show you a grey scale image unlike the full color 2.5 images. Don’t get me wrong they can do it with post processing, but you know that requires effort....

• Like x 1
  14. kqnjml

kqnjml Member

I agree, it's totally doable but they chose not to release for HW2. Hopefully they will work on something for us in the near future.

15. 4EVar

4EVar Member

I'd be more than happy with a greyscale recording

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  16. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

Your all better off just buying two blackvue 900's and you'll get more features with a better solution with software that actually works.

• Like x 1
  17. 4EVar

4EVar Member

If you review the footage of vandalism etc, the side view cameras which actually capture the images of perps in the main. Blackvue wouldn't be a suitable solution for this.

18. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

Hmms, I get side view coverage with my blackvues, I mounted them in the back side windows pointing out to the sides.

19. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

I mean with enough money you could place as many cameras as you want wherever you want. That’s the beauty of aftermarket cameras. You can also now have Sentry Mode trigger it instead of always on, since sentry turns on the 12V sources. (mine activates front/rear only)

I could see how those who don’t have dash cams or don’t want to install aftermarket equipment/splice into the electrical would want a clean OEM solution though.

• Helpful x 2
  20. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

Completely agree! But for sake of clarity it just doesn't exist with AP 2.0. And as of 16.2 still doesn't, and who knows if they will enable it vs this false sense of security they give now making owners "think" it's actually doing something.

• Like x 1