Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does getting rid of a plasma TV impact energy consumption enough to matter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
The Prime rate is great for people with EV but no Solar. During the day when you need A/C, you get the super low rate. So you do all the heavy electric activities during the day before 3pm (running the pool pump, washing clothes, dish washer, A/C, watch daytime soap opera on you plasma TV LOL). And you charge your car after midnight or in the morning provided it finished before 3pm.
Off topic, but you mentioned plasma TV. We have a Panasonic 65" plasma (720p) from 6 or so years ago. Would going to a more modern 4K TV of the same size save much power?

Off topic, but you mentioned plasma TV. We have a Panasonic 65" plasma (720p) from 6 or so years ago. Would going to a more modern 4K TV of the same size save much power?

I know we are squarely off topic here on this, but yeah you would likely notice it if you went from a panasonic plasma 65 inc (I had a VT50 that replaced an older kuro), to one of the 4k LED ones. I did anyway... but the picture quality on most of the 4k TVs is not as good as that plasma, especially if you dont view them straight on.

I replaced my plasma with a high end sony 4k tv, and because I sit in the sweet spot for the TV it was ok, picture wise (blacks not as good, but I am delving into enthusiast territory here on TVs). I recently gave that TV to my daughter who moved out and bought myself a sony 8k 85 inch TV, which uses about as much power as the 65 inch plasma did, and finally gets me back to picture quality that is "as good as" my plasma was, but for a larger TV.

• Informative
Reactions: Need
I know we are squarely off topic here on this, but yeah you would likely notice it if you went from a panasonic plasma 65 inc (I had a VT50 that replaced an older kuro), to one of the 4k LED ones. I did anyway... but the picture quality on most of the 4k TVs is not as good as that plasma, especially if you dont view them straight on.

I replaced my plasma with a high end sony 4k tv, and because I sit in the sweet spot for the TV it was ok, picture wise (blacks not as good, but I am delving into enthusiast territory here on TVs). I recently gave that TV to my daughter who moved out and bought myself a sony 8k 85 inch TV, which uses about as much power as the 65 inch plasma did, and finally gets me back to picture quality that is "as good as" my plasma was, but for a larger TV.

Pretty sure ours is a VT50. Blacks are great like the Kuro (black in Japanese), but you can tell the resolution is kind of low. Unfortunately, with in-wall speakers no way we could go 85" without the left and right speakers ending up behind the panel. BTW is there much 8K content available?

I have a couple of plasma TV's plus l of others. I have put switches on many so that when not being used, power is completely off.

I was thinking about getting an 85 inch tv, but now that they have come out with 100 inch, waiting to see the price on this sony set.

Pretty sure ours is a VT50. Blacks are great like the Kuro (black in Japanese), but you can tell the resolution is kind of low. Unfortunately, with in-wall speakers no way we could go 85" without the left and right speakers ending up behind the panel. BTW is there much 8K content available?

Nope but, I didnt buy it because it was 8k. I bought it because it was the best 85 inch TV that wasnt an OLED, and only the price of a small used car vs the price of a luxury sedan (lol).

(moderator note: Splitting out the TV discussion from another thread. The discussion was couched as "can replacing a plasma tv with a 4k one impact energy usage enough to matter."

Going to split the posts out to here, and then move them to the energy section with a long re direct. As much as I would personally enjoy discussing this here in this section, as we would likely get reasonable responses etc, I cant bend it to fit in this section even though I want it to (lol)

Reactions: jboy210
Panasonic's 65" manual says 450 W typical. Seems like a lot for a TV,

The 85inch sony I was speaking above earlier has a rated power consumption (by sony, in their specs) of 900w (lol). Its very power hungry (yeah I know this is an absurd amount of power for a TV).
sony z9g.JPG

now that it is split .. my circa 2008 panasonic 50" plasma still looks great off angle / tad bit more realistic as far as fast motion in sports etc i think than my 65" 4k 2015 samsung led although i can see the lower resolution of panasonic 720p / 1080i max and the huge blank or bezle area looks ridicules by today's standards .. Panasonic is relegated to a spare room
and that old plasma sucks down much more than 20% excess of the led .. the fans in rear of panasonic can heat a small bedroom ..
.. i have been waiting for the 77" oled at costco to drop in price for years ..

Reactions: MitchMitch
now that it is split .. my circa 2008 panasonic 50" plasma still looks great off angle / tad bit more realistic as far as fast motion in sports etc i think than my 65" 4k 2015 samsung led although i can see the lower resolution of panasonic 720p / 1080i max and the huge blank or bezle area looks ridicules by today's standards .. Panasonic is relegated to a spare room
and that old plasma sucks down much more than 20% excess of the led .. the fans in rear of panasonic can heat a small bedroom ..

We had that 50" Panasonic. I loved it. Had it for years. I can also confirm it can heat a small room. Replaced it with a 55 LED. No more heated room.

• Funny
Reactions: Electrph
Those old plasma TVs are energy hogs -- around 200 watts more for your size TV.

As for savings, well that depends how many hours a day it is used. Our guest room has such a Plasma as yours, but it might get an hour of use a month. I don't sweat the extra 200 Wh ;)
And it makes a lot more sense to take the money I could have spent on an efficient TV and spend it on extra PV instead.

Some Arithmetic
Say a replacement costs $500, or you can take the money and buy 500 watts of PV
The PV gives you ~ 2500 Wh a day of clean energy
If the Plasma is consuming 250 watts, then break-even is 10 hours of Plasma TV use a day

As for savings, well that depends how many hours a day it is used. Our guest room has such a Plasma as yours, but it might get an hour of use a month. I don't sweat the extra 200 Wh ;)
And it makes a lot more sense to take the money I could have spent on an efficient TV and spend it on extra PV instead.

Some Arithmetic
If the Plasma is consuming 250 watts, then break-even is 10 hours of Plasma TV use a day

This OP has a solar roof, installed last year, so unless they go ground mount they cant add any more PV. This discussion was split off from inside another thread about PV size, though, so your point makes sense from that point of view.

Some Arithmetic

As mentioned we have a solar roof, so not easily expandable. Also, we have shading issues, 60 foot oak tree south of roof, that takes out a lot of our generation capability from 11AM to 1:30 PM until Spring. Makes the curve bi-modal. Still, the roof is efficient enough that even now on most days we exceed 100% on our 2 Powerwalls. I just want to do what I can to reduce the power draw when we sit down to watch TV in the evening and are running the house on the Powerwalls.

I was waiting for that too...but 2 years ago decided to just went with the 82" Samsung 4K QLED. I can see the OLED is "better" even though I am not really a TV enthusiast, but didn't want to spend that much on a TV. I think at the time the LG 77 was like twice the price of the Samsung 82 QLED so I got that one from Costco instead. Funny enough that the 82" QLED was almost exactly the same price as the 55" Samsung 1080p LED TV that it replaced. I got the 55" back in 2009. It was also part of the reason I picked Samsung again. That 55" just won't die. I kept waiting for it to have problem so I could upgrade.. never happened.

As mentioned we have a solar roof, so not easily expandable. Also, we have shading issues, 60 foot oak tree south of roof, that takes out a lot of our generation capability from 11AM to 1:30 PM until Spring. Makes the curve bi-modal. Still, the roof is efficient enough that even now on most days we exceed 100% on our 2 Powerwalls. I just want to do what I can to reduce the power draw when we sit down to watch TV in the evening and are running the house on the Powerwalls.
The short answer for you is ~ 200 watts.

For everyone else -- consider opportunity cost