TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Does GPS Know (Ask?) if there is Destination Charging?

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by Birdman325, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Birdman325

Birdman325 Member

This might be clear when I actually get a Tesla and try it out, but let's assume that I am driving somewhere from my home in Toronto on a day trip. I put in the address of my destination, and I understand that the GPS will advise me whether or not I need to charge / stop at a SC in order to reach my destination. (Is that correct?)
    But let's assume that my destination does not have any charging availability and I want to drive home the same day. While I may have enough charge to get to my destination without charging, how will I know (or the GPS) whether I will have enough charge to turn around and not necessarily make it home, but maybe make it to a SC somewhere on the way back.
    Is there a "round trip" option when you plug in the coordinates?

2. jareade

jareade Supporting Member

Yes, when you plug in your coordinates, it will show what your battery percentage would be if you made a round trip (often negative if it's a long trip). So it should show exactly what you are looking for.

3. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

From the manual

4. Birdman325

Birdman325 Member

Fantastic. Thx.

5. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

One still needs to assess the route plotted to see if it makes sense. The system is far from infallible and does stupid things sometimes. It often also routes to Superchargers when it isn't necessary, or routes to SCs that are not the best way to go.

6. Racerx22b

Racerx22b Member

And if you stop on your trip or cancel GPS guidance when you start it again it'll assume your return point is the point at which you started guidance. Not your home.