Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does GPS Know (Ask?) if there is Destination Charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This might be clear when I actually get a Tesla and try it out, but let's assume that I am driving somewhere from my home in Toronto on a day trip. I put in the address of my destination, and I understand that the GPS will advise me whether or not I need to charge / stop at a SC in order to reach my destination. (Is that correct?)
But let's assume that my destination does not have any charging availability and I want to drive home the same day. While I may have enough charge to get to my destination without charging, how will I know (or the GPS) whether I will have enough charge to turn around and not necessarily make it home, but maybe make it to a SC somewhere on the way back.
Is there a "round trip" option when you plug in the coordinates?

Yes, when you plug in your coordinates, it will show what your battery percentage would be if you made a round trip (often negative if it's a long trip). So it should show exactly what you are looking for.

Is there a "round trip" option when you plug in the coordinates?
From the manual

Model X also lets you know if you have enough energy for a round trip. Tap the battery icon at the bottom of the turn-by-turn
directions to determine if Model X has enough energy to get to your destination and then return back to your starting point

One still needs to assess the route plotted to see if it makes sense. The system is far from infallible and does stupid things sometimes. It often also routes to Superchargers when it isn't necessary, or routes to SCs that are not the best way to go.