Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does grid fluctuation or dirty power cause PW to interpret as grid outage for 5 minutes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have had my PW2 for about 15 months. While I've only had a couple of grid outages lasting more than a few minutes, maybe for an hour or two, I do get a lot of supposed "outages" for 5 minutes that I suspect may not be true outages.

I have a neighbor that tracks outages closely (so as to get utility to fix issues)) and for many of my 5 minute outages, he reports no issues. Today, I had a 5 minute outage. I was sitting at my desktop PC connected to a CyberPower UPS. I previously had Tesla modify my frequency to eliminate the false alarms from the UPS and have not had an issues with UPS since the change. The UPS flickered twice in those few minutes.

So, does the PW interpret some power fluctuations/dirty power as outages? Thanks.

short answer is yes .. pw will sometimes take over during what a neighbor w/o pw will see as only a "flicker of lights" .. then powerwall will continue off grid for the requisite 3 -5 min before reconnecting to grid
how close is your neighbor tracking? with some type of instruments to log even very brief outage or using an appliance / clock etc as indicator ?

Yes, if there is a blip the Powerwall will isolate itself for a minimum of 5 minutes. This is part of the IEEE 1547 standard and is required by many AHJs as part of your interconnection agreement (for an example see Xcel Energy's: https://www.xcelenergy.com/staticfiles/xe/Regulatory/Transmission/CO-DG-Tech-Manual.pdf)

The problem is that a power blip and a power outage followed by the Powerwall kicking in look the same: lights flicker, UPS clicks for a moment. When that happens my go to is to not to wait 5 minutes but rather I check the oven, which is not on the backed up circuits. If the oven clock is on, the grid is still up. Super high tech I know.

Reactions: BGbreeder