Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Homelink work with your Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA
Both @aaron0k and I haven't gotten Homelink to work with our Liftmaster setups (mine's a 2013 model) that have worked with no issues with our MSs.

Would appreciate it if other Model 3 owners can chime in with your Homelink experiences. Please include details of your garage opener (brand and year) and if there are or are no issues with your S or X, if applicable.

Am taking it into the service center tomorrow to have the alignment looked at and will bring this up but, I'm not hopeful of a solution; it probably needs a firmware fix. For now, I'm partying like it's 1999 with the ugly opener on the sunshade.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: ElectricKid
What step of the homelink setup is failing for you anyway? Seems like there's two potential points of failure...
1) Hold down your remote's button until headlights flash (car learns your remote)
2) Put your opener in learn mode and follow prompts on the screen to pair

Might be useful - HomeLink

Thanks! Tried the method that the video here suggested, that of repeating the press-and-hold-for-2-seconds routine suggested in the video here rather than the 'press and hold for a long time' method that the car suggests.

What step of the homelink setup is failing for you anyway? Seems like there's two potential points of failure...
1) Hold down your remote's button until headlights flash (car learns your remote)
2) Put your opener in learn mode and follow prompts on the screen to pair

1) has not worked for me...

Reactions: coleAK
I was able to get Homelink working with one Liftmaster garage door, but couldn’t get it working with another gate and garage door (unknown brands). All three paired just fine, so I’m assuming it’s a software issue currently. I also used fresh batteries for the gate remote, but it didn’t make a difference.

• Informative
Reactions: gg_got_a_tesla
Both @aaron0k and I haven't gotten Homelink to work with our Liftmaster setups (mine's a 2013 model) that have worked with no issues with our MSs.

Would appreciate it if other Model 3 owners can chime in with your Homelink experiences. Please include details of your garage opener (brand and year) and if there are or are no issues with your S or X, if applicable.

Am taking it into the service center tomorrow to have the alignment looked at and will bring this up but, I'm not hopeful of a solution; it probably needs a firmware fix. For now, I'm partying like it's 1999 with the ugly opener on the sunshade.

Thanks in advance!

I can’t get my lift master remote to sync with my home link. I switched to new batteries and keep hitting and holding the garage for minutes. Headlights never blink. Garage door keeps opening and closing while I’m doing this lol.

The remote for the gate for my gated community programmed just fine. It’s not a rolling code one though.

I can’t get my lift master remote to sync with my home link. I switched to new batteries and keep hitting and holding the garage for minutes. Headlights never blink. Garage door keeps opening and closing while I’m doing this lol.

The remote for the gate for my gated community programmed just fine. It’s not a rolling code one though.

Thanks for posting your experience. Yes, this is where I'm at as well. I set the garage door opener to lock mode by the way so that I don't grind that motor to death while I try the sync step, in vain (the lights on the opener simply blink when I press the remote).

Here's where I netted out with service on this:

The culmination of our Tesla (acquisition) journey!

Took the car in for service yesterday to get the alignment and homelink checked out. This is the update on the alignment aspect - so, a firmware update may "fix" it:

View attachment 272559

On the Homelink front, they'll schedule a mobile unit to come to our house and try to set the Homelink up.

Great service as always! They were thrilled to see one of the first Model 3s come in for service.

I just set up my Model 3 with a newish Raynor garage door opener and a much older Doorking gate opener. The Raynor worked the first time, but the Doorking just refused to sync. Eventually I looked up support on Homelink's website, and their suggestion to press and hold for 2 seconds, let go, and repeat, finally worked. (In conjunction with holding the remote about an inch from the front bumper.)

In the process, I also tried syncing the Doorking by copying the signal from Homelink on my old Tesla Roadster, parking the cars nose to nose, which failed miserably :D I wonder if anyone's ever had success doing it that way? In any case, glad it's working now!

Last edited:
Liftmaster here too - did not follow their exact steps because of course I didn't...

Used only the remote from the other car, did onscreen instruction where it asked me to activate the remote in front of the car. That took 2 tries before it 'saw' the remote. That's it, after that it worked fine.

• Informative
Reactions: gg_got_a_tesla
I had to adjust it to 40 ft and it works as soon as I hit the driveway.

I’ve tried all sorts of different settings for the auto open and close and can’t get the damn thing to work. I pull up all the way to my garage door and the screen still says “auto open in 10 feet” or whatever. I’ve tried resetting the location for it to no avail. Any trick to get this working properly? I don’t mind having to manually touch the screen to open and close my garage but if I could get this to work automatically that would be pretty sweet.