Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Homelink work with your Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve tried all sorts of different settings for the auto open and close and can’t get the damn thing to work. I pull up all the way to my garage door and the screen still says “auto open in 10 feet” or whatever. I’ve tried resetting the location for it to no avail. Any trick to get this working properly? I don’t mind having to manually touch the screen to open and close my garage but if I could get this to work automatically that would be pretty sweet.

And it looks like resetting my location at the very start of my driveway instead of a few feet in front of the garage door fixed the issue for me. The garage opened automatically when I pulled into my driveway earlier and closed automatically as I was leaving.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dave B
Just careful with the auto open. If the door is already open and you drive in....it will close it.....on your nice glass roof! I get a little scared with the auto garage door stuff....

It would be nice if garage door openers actually had separate discrete codes for both opening and closing. Oh well, first world problems I suppose!

Will it? The garage door obstruction sensor will prevent that, right?

Only if the sensor is blocked. The sensors on my door only cover the entrance to the garage and go up about 3 inches from the ground. Unless your wheels happen to be blocking the beam that the sensors use then it would definitely be possible to close the garage door on your roof. However I don’t ever see anyone being so foolish to have this happen.

Driving into the garage with a roof mounted bike rack however? Happens all the time :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: gg_got_a_tesla
Worked fine with me. I did have to try a couple of times for the car to pick up the signal from my opener. I found waving my arm a bit while holding the button worked well. Linking to the motor unit worked flawlessly and instantaneously.

Like @PoitNarf I had to set my trigger location farther from the garage in order for the doors to open earlier upon my arrival. Same deal for my Model S.

I couldn’t get mine to work at first either but try the following:

1. Open the frunk
2. Hold garage door opener for 2 seconds at a time, release, 2 more seconds, until headlights flash

After doing this mine worked on the second 2 second push.

Worked just as advertised for me- didn't even need to get up and hit the "learn" button in the opener itself (as I expected to from previous Homelink systems)- likely because I have a really new Chamberlain opener. I had to disable auto open/close though, since I often drive on a road right behind my house that's close enough to trigger it erroneously.

I just got my Model 3 to work with Homelink and my Liftmaster garage door opener. I guess the first time I wasn't fast enough climbing down from the ladder after touching the Liftmaster learn button and then getting back into my Model 3 and continuing the set up. But I'm happy now with a new Model 3 and garage door that goes up and down! Isn't life grand!

Is there a way to figure out if it should work without doing learning, based on the model?

We recently got a brand new gate at my condo, and Homelink hasn't worked as of yet. The box is like 15 feet high, and there's no way I can even attempt to hit the learning button without a doing getting a ginormous ladder from somewhere.

I can though find out the model #.