Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does insane+ mode do the same thing as supercharger preconditioning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that the Model 3 has a preconditioning function when on route to a supercharger. That preconditioning warms up the battery so it'll be capable of charging faster.

My further understanding is that the Max Battery mode for Insane+ (on a 2015 P85D) does the same thing except for the purpose of discharging the battery.

Would putting the car in insane+ mode on route to a supercharger make the supercharging faster? If I had a need to supercharge on a regular basis then I would just experiment but I don't.

Your S also preconditions when you navigate to a supercharger as of that same software update. You may not see the message all the time, but it will appear on the Nav when a few conditions are met - you must be within X miles of the supercharger (e.g. it won't preheat now if you navigate to one 150 miles away) and your battery must be below the target temp (seems to be ~37-40 degrees celsius). If you've been driving a while, your battery will already be warm so you may not see it by the time you get close to the supercharger. In actual practice, unless you use Supercharging as your main charging and just drive 5 miles to your nearest one in the morning with a cold battery, I find that on road trips your battery is plenty warm by the time you finish your leg and pull in, so I rarely see the notification.

But to answer your question - yes, Insane+/Ludicrous+ will use the same battery heater, but will shoot for a higher target temp (~55C).