Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does it harm the battery to regularly arrive with less than 20% SoC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know the battery SoC should not be at less than 20% or more than 80% for long periods of time. But does it harm the battery to regularly arrive at a destination with less than 20% SoC if you're going to charge immediately (i.e. road trip)? I've read conflicting things about this and am confused. I notice the trip planner in the car will often plan so that your SoC on arrival will be less than 20%, even commonly down to 10%! So it must be totally fine if the car tells you to do it? Can anyone point me to an official answer on this?

Cheers.

So it must be totally fine if the car tells you to do it? Can anyone point me to an official answer on this?

This is all you’ll get for “official”.

1C4B5B47-4D96-4122-A876-57BAA6EAD58A.jpeg

Upvote 0
If you are concerned about regularly depleting the battery to 20% state of charge (SOC) or below you can do several things to address this. First, charge to a higher SOC before your leave. Second, there is a build in battery reserve that is controlled by your right foot. Slow down 5 MPH and improve your efficiency and range by almost 10%. Slow down by 10 MPH and improve your efficiency and range by almost 20%.

Upvote 0
I think staying within 10-90% will be fine for 99% of people. There is a bit of a buffer with these packs so even when you charge to 100%, its more like 95% since there is some buffer remaining that you can't access and same thing going down to 0% (there's about 5% left beyond that).

Upvote 0