Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does it matter what charger I pay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi the model y is on order and delivery should be a couple of weeks.

Question is does it matter what charger I get I don’t have solar panels and my phone signal is terrible where I live.

My energy zappi from octopus at £1119

Ohme home pro but 2/3g

Tesla wall charger I like the look of this but seems to have a lot of bad reviews and the wire can look messy

Based in Kent if that helps

Tesla one works brilliantly for me, can't say I read a great deal of reviews so didn't know it was badly reviewed?

Tesla don't install so you need to source your own leccy (or use one from their preferred installer list who are all quite expensive), mine ended up at £800 installed so can be far cheaper than the other options if you know a decent trustworthy electrician qualified for EV installs.

In the UK, you need to have PEN fault protection, either in the charge point or as a separate unit. I don't know if the latest TWC has it built in. It's not clear from the Tesla web site at a quick glance, but as it's only a UK requirement it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't, as they are targeting international markets. Could an owner advise please.

If it doesn't, you need to factor in the cost of a separate unit.

The Zappi (and many other charge points) has it built in.

Reactions: Ashdeman
Tesla wall charger I like the look of this but seems to have a lot of bad reviews and the wire can look messy

Surprised at your comment of "a lot of bad reviews" ... I follow the forums and can't say I've noticed that (but I'm not concerned, other than curious, so you may well be right and I haven't noticed!). Without doubt there will be some failures

I, and a family member, have had Tesla wall connector for ages (may have changed since). Nice robust, thick, long, cable. Also a button to release wand, which is handy (car has to be unlocked, but I just open&close a rear door to unlock car, then press button to release wand).

I also have Zappi, intended to be used to push excess PV into car. In practice I've never used it for that (doesn't achieve what I want, but it would do that job for most people). Slimmer cable. I've never used the APP for it ...

So basically my preference is a dumb charger, and control charging from the car.

This does mean that there is no "Stop at end of Off Peak" (Tesla don't provide that currently). So to prevent charge carrying on, after Off Peak, some other solution is needed - e.g. set the LIMT to 30% (or whatever can be done in one Off Peak period) above current, and then remember to increase it again "tomorrow night". This only applies when coming home sufficiently empty and NOT going somewhere long distance tomorrow, where replenish will be completed over two nights.

Or use a 3rd party API widget like TeslaFi to always turn off charging at end of Off Peak (which is what I do)

So my car is scheduled to start charging at start of off peak. I just come home and plug in. I can override the car to charge immediately, if I ever need that, either from Dash or from Phone APP - i.e. the wall charger is always live. Same if a mate comes and wants a charge.

If the Wall Charger is "smart", and is only "live" during Off Peak then have to use Charger APP to do an override charge (but it will stop at end of Off peak). Also, dunno what happens if you want to turn on CLIMATE 10 minutes before departure ... presumably have to activate both Charger and start climate in car APP. Or set up something in Alexa that neatly does both :)

Dunno what your driveway arrangement is, and if you might have 2nd EV in future, and whether you park end-on or sideways, and if you have In/Out driveway which way you would have to come in to get Tesla rear-left-quarter close to the charger. I park sideways by house, and each charger was isntalled where each car would be ... with hindsight it would have been better if I had put both chargers "between" the two car parking spots, as juggling cars / chargers / cables would be easier.

(Worth positioning the first charger so that it could reach two parking spots)

Last edited:
This does mean that there is no "Stop at end of Off Peak" (Tesla don't provide that currently).

It does:

Screenshot_20230128_092805_Tesla.jpg

I went with Hypervolt and haven't regretted it. Seemed a good balance between price, features and looks! The cable wraps around the unit and stows away really neatly, something which I personally thought looks messy on the Tesla wall connector (my charger is on the front of the house). The open/release button on the Tesla connector is something I'm jealous of though.

Tesla wall charger ... the wire can look messy

meant to comment on this earlier.

Anderson (went bust, bought by a new owner and in operation again, not sure if name has changed) has a neat arrangement for cable, and the unit looks smart on the wall (and I think comes in a range of colours etc.). But it would drive me spare having to spend time to neatly put the cable back each time.

I've put a larger planter in front of mine, and I can just loop the cable over the charger (i.e. plug hanging down so as not to collect water ... nor be driven over!) and the planter means you can't see the mess I have made :)

Sorry, to clarify "Can't have both START at start of Off Peak AND STOP at end of Off Peak" (unless something has changed recently?)

So basically either option runs the risk of charging the car using Peak rate
Agreed, depends what state of charge you're starting with. For me day to day use I've not had a situation where state of charge and target charge percentage would involve the charge starting pre off peak. YMMV

In the UK, you need to have PEN fault protection, either in the charge point or as a separate unit. I don't know if the latest TWC has it built in. It's not clear from the Tesla web site at a quick glance, but as it's only a UK requirement it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't, as they are targeting international markets. Could an owner advise please.

If it doesn't, you need to factor in the cost of a separate unit.

The Zappi (and many other charge points) has it built in.

It does not. You need a separate device to provide that.
You can also use an earth rod which is cheaper and fulfils the same requirement if you have somewhere to put it.

You may not need either if your house has a particular earthing system and your installer will be able to advise accordingly.

Reactions: MovingSouth
I went with an Easee One mainly due to not having WiFi signal where the device is. The app is great and scheduling charges for Octopus Go tariff is easy. I was caught out by pausing the charge when I charged outside of the schedule, which also paused the schedule, but have learnt since then.

The only think I don't like is having to go in the car to unlock the charge port. Would much rather have the button like the Tesla Wall Connector does.

I don't know if anyone has found a hardware solution for this? I know a lot of people recommend using the Tesla Remote app but don't want to pony up £20 for an app.