Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does it matter what charger I pay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went with an Easee One mainly due to not having WiFi signal where the device is. The app is great and scheduling charges for Octopus Go tariff is easy. I was caught out by pausing the charge when I charged outside of the schedule, which also paused the schedule, but have learnt since then.

The only think I don't like is having to go in the car to unlock the charge port. Would much rather have the button like the Tesla Wall Connector does.

I don't know if anyone has found a hardware solution for this? I know a lot of people recommend using the Tesla Remote app but don't want to pony up £20 for an app.
Just use the tesla app on your phone.

Reactions: Adopado
I don't know if anyone has found a hardware solution for this?

There is a 3rd party add-on button you can get ... my recollection of the various threads I've read about it is that its not great, but might be worth investigating.

Model-S (and maybe Model-X too) has a release-button on the car, next to the charge port. That wasn't on older Model-S, so given its a new addition its a pity they didn't put it on M3 / MY too ...

Just use the tesla app on your phone.
I don't know if anyone has found a hardware solution for this? I know a lot of people recommend using the Tesla Remote app but don't want to pony up £20 for an app.
@medved used some NFC solutions, worth looking at some of his posts.

I use siri with apple watch shortcut as ‘open charge port’ and ‘disconnect charger’ works flawlessly - just take two tries if offline for a long time. But I don’t mind waiting a minute or so! And now the watch for Tesla app can open the car as a key I don’t need my iphone to open the charge port one less of a hassle in winter (I have my watch with me most of the day)

Last edited:
Reactions: WannabeOwner
Hi the model y is on order and delivery should be a couple of weeks.

Question is does it matter what charger I get I don’t have solar panels and my phone signal is terrible where I live.

My energy zappi from octopus at £1119

Ohme home pro but 2/3g

Tesla wall charger I like the look of this but seems to have a lot of bad reviews and the wire can look messy

Based in Kent if that helps
I can recommend the Easee One charger. It’s untethered but you can lock the cable in if you prefer. The app is excellent and it’s has 4G and WiFi. Best of all it’s super minimal. Made in Sweden ✅

Was £900 fitted - £650 Unit.

CB73E056-9347-403A-9F23-91C0761A0B00.jpeg

In the UK, you need to have PEN fault protection, either in the charge point or as a separate unit. I don't know if the latest TWC has it built in. It's not clear from the Tesla web site at a quick glance, but as it's only a UK requirement it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't, as they are targeting international markets. Could an owner advise please.

If it doesn't, you need to factor in the cost of a separate unit.

The Zappi (and many other charge points) has it built in.
Definitely does not have the PEN Fault Protection. In the UK installation manual there are additional pages covering the requirements.