Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does it mean anything: Model X mule(s) show signs of opposite-side charge port?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously? Sounds like your legislators have way too much time on their hands...

Yes, it is true.

This, I think is one of those things like guns and the U.S., and Germans and the autobahn etc., something that comes with the territory.

In general, EU and the Europe are more likely to legislate standards for (perceived) common good than the U.S. FWIW, it is simply politically more possible and wanted here. Sometimes it has relatively good outcomes, like mobile operators that were quicker forced into common standards and more real price competition than in the U.S., at other times it adds bureaucracy and hinders disruptive developments making Europe and European companies react slower to new possibilities (compare e.g. to Silicon Valley and many startup ideas there).

I don't dispute any of your points, but in this case, I think this is clearly a "let the market decide" case. Micro USB is clearly the technological and market winner - no need to legislate anything here.

The downside to laws like this, is that if/when something better comes along, it's adoption will be hampered by the prior legislation...

I don't dispute any of your points, but in this case, I think this is clearly a "let the market decide" case. Micro USB is clearly the technological and market winner - no need to legislate anything here.

The downside to laws like this, is that if/when something better comes along, it's adoption will be hampered by the prior legislation...

I don't necessarily disagree, I have no strong opinion on the micro-USB matter.

Probably the need to standardize electric cars and their charging would be a more understandable cause, similar to having a standard fuel nozzle etc. and wall socket are important? That said, it would suck for Tesla since they clearly have a superior connector and interest in EVs, to be forced to say CCS, let alone CHAdeMO...

In the latest sighting, the opposite side charging port is still seen as a separate piece under the camo wrap. It is probably just the way the tape has been applied there and means nothing more, but thought I'd point it out.

attachment.php?attachmentid=90834.jpg

Model X Mule Sightings - Page 234

This is a silly question but I'll ask anyway..... LOL

What are the limitations of charging ? My thought is hooking up a Supercharger on both sides of the car. This could potentially dump 650-700 mph into the car. Charging in 10-15 minutes. What are the limits of what the battery can take in ?

RHD variants will have charging port on the right side.

Unlikely. Charging point for the S is on the left for both LHD and RHD cars, so all superchargers have been installed to support a charging port on that side.

If they do install one on the right (why?!) then this will be in addition to the one on the left.

Personally I think it is more likely that there is an output port on the right than a second charging port. Maybe a 12V socket for camping (lol), or maybe a special port for charging another EV that would otherwise be stuck.

I can see how there might be a minor inconvenience factor in taking those 3-4 extra steps but I can't imagine that it's really worth what would be fairly considerable extra cost.

Not to mention moving the car and parking it the other way if you already have set up the cord on one side of the wall. To put it simple; it wouldn't matter if I drive the car with nose or back first.

Not to mention moving the car and parking it the other way if you already have set up the cord on one side of the wall. To put it simple; it wouldn't matter if I drive the car with nose or back first.

It's probably cheaper to move the outlet/HPWC if it means that much to you. The second chargeport, high voltage cable, automatic switching etc. is going to cost.

Note that all of the current Superchargers and HPWCs are installed to send a signal opening the charge point when the nozzle button is pushed. Putting chargeport doors on both sides is going to mean that both of them open every time.

It's probably cheaper to move the outlet/HPWC if it means that much to you. The second chargeport, high voltage cable, automatic switching etc. is going to cost.

Note that all of the current Superchargers and HPWCs are installed to send a signal opening the charge point when the nozzle button is pushed. Putting chargeport doors on both sides is going to mean that both of them open every time.

Along with the rear spoiler, both charge-ports could be used for air brakes for those times you have to stop as quickly as possible. :cool:

Seriously though, there are some use-cases where having the 2nd charge port would be extremely useful. Like when towing a trailer and not having to worry about backing in to charge. However, something more interesting would be the choice of a different charge port (e.g. CHADdeMO) on the other side.

Personally, I believe that the appearance of a 2nd charge port is only that. I suspect that when they wrapped the tail-lights, they simply cut-out the individual sections of wrap, which makes the seam around the location in question more pronounced than it actually is, giving the appearance that it a separate piece capable of being a charge port.

While I'm not expecting dual charge ports, I think beyond cost there would be very few real issues and plenty of actual benefits:

- Which charge port opens from remote could be configurable in software (select what applies to you most) and dual ports would have their own opening buttons on the big screen. Not a problem.

- There are more benefits to opposite side ports than just RHD. Towing was mentioned, but also many competing cars have charge ports on different locations than Tesla, so some public chargers are be configured for those. Frequent even just one of these and that second port would be lovely.

- Location based opening: the car could learn which port to open where.

Not a big deal, now that they auto-close.

Whenever we have one of our meet-ups that requires a supercharger stop, it's a fun game to wait until a few people unplug, close their ports, then hit the supercharger button to open them all again. The new charge ports ruined that. :)