Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does it mean anything: Model X mule(s) show signs of opposite-side charge port?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which would be a terrible idea because you would bypass the safety protections of the EVSE. Not to mention why would you need an outlet when you have the UMC?

What? I don't even know what you are thinking of, but to repeat this would be for plugging things into the car, not plugging the car into a socket. It has nothing to do with an EVSE. Not that I think it's likely.

What? I don't even know what you are thinking of, but to repeat this would be for plugging things into the car, not plugging the car into a socket. It has nothing to do with an EVSE. Not that I think it's likely.

Lol. I had a nice reply with examples of devices one might want to plug into their car when not near any power outlets but then my sarcasm detector started going off so I didn't post that reply. Sounds like it was a false positive!

I think it would be great if it was possible to use it to charge another Tesla in an emergency. Just stop next to the car that is out of electricity and charge with maybe 30-40 kW. With more and more Teslas on the road, it will be less and less problem to run out of electricity.

That sounds cool, but not likely, I think more likely due to mule testing for right hand drive cars. Ease of driver to exit and plug in on same side of car.

Agreed. But wouldn't it be cool if the Model-X had a symmetric design and it hence it didn't matter which side the charge port was on? Then, the Design Studio could allow you to select which side you would like the port on.

Exactly. They can no more change the side of the EU charging port than they can the US one. Nobody would be able to use any of the superchargers.
Couldn't they just use the one at the next stall over? It might not make the guy who pulls into that stall happy...but I would think it would reach. Just because it would be on the opposite side doesn't mean it would be impossible to use them. One just might not be able to park "between the lines". There have been many stories of ICEd Superchargers where S owners were forced to park differently, go up on curbs, approach from behind, etc. Necessity is the mother of invention. There's more than one way to skin a cat. Yadda yadda yadda...

Last edited:
Yeah. I didn't mean to imply that they would or should. Just that moving the port to the other side would not mean "nobody would be able to use any of the superchargers."

Oh, come on. Perhaps some superchargers could be jury rigged, but plenty are in positions where that wouldn't be possible. We are discussing whether there is a possibility Tesla is moving the port to the other side. Are you seriously saying that it is a possibility because people could maybe possibly in some circumstances make this work? Otherwise I don't see the point of your comment.