Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does it need the 2nd row center conclose for Model X 6 seats?Do you have it now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love this as a retrofit option. My kids are older and have used the third row once in 16 months. They would love the center console for the armrest alone. I am tempted to try and find a used one and figure a solution to add to my X. Anyone that has removed the console want to sell it?

Mabe the second row cup holder is convenience for the passenger.If the sencond row passengers need to have a position to put the drinks,this time the cup holder is need here.

There are already 2 pop-out cup holders available for the second row passengers. So I still don't see the point in providing yet another pair in the console? Maybe the console designers were unaware of the existing cup holders? lol.

Excellent work and info Mjølner!

This one is actually one of those more satisfying retrofit or removal options because simply new 6-seater mats from Tesla will be needed to make it look as good as from factory. Someone could make a nice filler piece for it and I'm sure they could sell a few 3D printed. :)

As a 6-seater (no console) owner I find the center "aisle" one of the best features of the car, completely irrespective if anyone uses the third row... but Mjølner's solution now allows someone "on the edge" the peace of mind to have both options available to them...

There are already 2 pop-out cup holders available for the second row passengers. So I still don't see the point in providing yet another pair in the console? Maybe the console designers were unaware of the existing cup holders? lol.

The fixed console cup holders may be preferred by some? Also, it allows Tesla to use the same front-console trim pieces/cupholders in this area of the rear console... (Which they do.)

We sometimes put our plug in cooler between the middle row seats on road trips, if the dog is not in that spot. Works great as an armrest with a blanket on it and well, you get to have a cooler. Also, very easy to remove :)

The fixed console cup holders may be preferred by some? Also, it allows Tesla to use the same front-console trim pieces/cupholders in this area of the rear console... (Which they do.)
Actually, the cupholder/trim pieces appear to be the same as the old accessory back seat console that Tesla used to sell for the Model S. In fact, most of the new X rear console seems to be a recycle of the old Model S rear console.

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Actually, the cupholder/trim pieces appear to be the same as the old accessory back seat console that Tesla used to sell for the Model S. In fact, most of the new X rear console seems to be a recycle of the old Model S rear console.

Which I believe recycled the front armrest parts too for the cup-holders?

But yes, good point that even more recycling of parts may have been involved.

Which I believe recycled the front armrest parts too for the cup-holders?

But yes, good point that even more recycling of parts may have been involved.
It's similar but completely different. I was thinking the same thing but when I acquired a Model S rear console, I found that it does not share any parts with the front console with exception of the rubber liner in the bottom of the cupholders. Even the chrome trim rings around the cupholder openings are different.

• Informative
It's similar but completely different. I was thinking the same thing but when I acquired a Model S rear console, I found that it does not share any parts with the front console with exception of the rubber liner in the bottom of the cupholders. Even the chrome trim rings around the cupholder openings are different.

Really? Not even the wood/carbon fiber part is the same?

I haven't seen it in flesh, so good to hear clarifications.

From what I have seen of the Model X
Really? Not even the wood/carbon fiber part is the same?

I haven't seen it in flesh, so good to hear clarifications.
Nope. The piece for the front console is about 15" (381 mm) long front to back and the rear console part is only about 5" (127 mm) long. They are not the same width either with the rear piece being slightly wider. The mounting tabs on the underside are in different locations also. I'll take some pics this evening showing the differences.

• Informative
Very good, I stand informed and look forward to the photos.

I always looked at the photos and saw they had moved away from the Model X launch (Q3/2015) prototype console with special shaped trim to a wood/fiber trim that was shaped the same as the front, assuming they had moved to a shared part with the front. But it may have merely been a shared part with the Model S rear center console then, wrong assumption on my part they all used the same...

Very good, I stand informed and look forward to the photos.

I always looked at the photos and saw they had moved away from the Model X launch (Q3/2015) prototype console with special shaped trim to a wood/fiber trim that was shaped the same as the front, assuming they had moved to a shared part with the front. But it may have merely been a shared part with the Model S rear center console then, wrong assumption on my part they all used the same...
I have some detail pics of the X console with the lid open and to me the "guts" of the console look identical to the old S unit. I just hope they fixed the problem with the hinge spring. That part of the lid did look a bit different.

• Informative
Here is the Model X console with the lid open. Notice the thickness of the side panels:

Model%20X%202nd%20row%20console.jpg

Here is the old Model S accessory console (it's the same thing as the executive seating console). The side panels are much thinner but the wood trim and flocked cubby appear to be the same:

IMG_3543.JPG

The Model S unit appears to be longer but I believe that it's just an allusion because of the added width of the side panels. It also looks like the hinge area on the lid has been completely redesigned to fix the flaw in the old design.