Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does It Seem Like Everyone Wants To Race You?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having my P3D for a total of three weeks now, it seems at every traffic light other vehicles and drivers want to race on green. The ones that want a go at it are usually mustangs, camaros, dodge chargers, challengers, pickup trucks, hyundai’s, and just too many to count.

Last night was an Infiniti QX80. Nothing like listening to the QX80 revving up that big 5.6 V-8, but I had already reached the other traffic light before he even caught up!! Another interesting one was a Chevy Spark who was tailgating behind me and when I accelerated to 5 mph over the speed limit on the highway, he seemed to run out of steam.

Anyone else feels like they always have others who want to race?

I have had it happen multiple times in NoVA... I’ll give mine a quick stomp for about 3 seconds from light and then let off... enough to embarrass them. I have noticed a sharp drop over the last year... guess more people know the acceleration capabilities of Tesla cars as they become more prevalent on the roads here.

When I first got my car there were very few Model 3's around so it was relatively common to get some buffoon doing the silly creeping dance at lights.
But nowadays it rarely happens, especially with cars. It seems the word hasn't got out the core of the noisy, lifted pickup world though, which is even funnier.
Its along the same lines as folks stopping to talk to you in the parking lot. It used to be a weekly occurrence for folks to ask questions about the "electronic" car, now it rarely happens.

one of those noisey lifted trucks was my worst loss. Shortly after I found out it was a 1200hp, 9 second truck lol

Similar to everyone else on this forum, I should clarify the difference between racing vs. spirited driving: when stopped at a traffic light, I will do the spirited acceleration, but will shut down after reaching the maximum speed limit. Don’t really actually “race” anybody on the street. Ways too dangerous and have nothing to prove.

As a former US Navy Hospital Corpsman with 4 combat deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan, currently a paramedic, and losing my wife to an auto accident, racing anyone besides on a track or controlled road is just not worth. But I love the take off at a stop sign or traffic light

Living in the country, I still get lots of questions about Teslas and EV. We have a Tesla Supercharger in our city and sometimes strangers will actually stop and as you a ton of questions. I would let some sit in the car and tell them to schedule a test drive at the Tesla store in Plano, TX.

Street racing here will get your license lost for 6-12 months, and I
do mean gone. Riding to work with stinky Mike with the pocket protectors
for a year would be no fun. We do have aggressive drivers here so the power
to get away from them is very cool. 0-40 is not racing by the way, no rubber smell,
smoke and direct pipes.