TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Does Max Range make (enough of) a difference?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by WannabeOwner, Sep 19, 2016.

1. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

I don't have good, like-for-like, data, but the data that I do have looks like Max Range makes no, or so little, difference as to not be worth it. Plus I definitely have a high-pitched wine on max Range - not something I notice when i engage it, but a couple of hours later when I turn it off my ears definitely notice - I would liken it to them saying "thank you"!

Trouble is, for me, that when I drive on max Range I put TACC on 73 MPH, whereas when I'm not on Max Range I set TACC to 80 ... hence data not comparable. I guess I need to do a decent length highway run at 73 MPH with Max Range off :)

Is there any data / opinions on whether its worth bothering about?

2. TLej

TLej Little-Known Member

In my experience, range mode makes little or no difference. There have been times where I would swear it actually increases power consumption. I stopped using it.

• Like x 1
  3. hmmm

hmmm Member

That's exactly why I am using it :)

• Like x 1
  4. svp6

svp6 Member

It definitely makes a difference for the D models. Torque sleep is not enabled unless you have the range mode on. The whine that you hear is the increased use of the front motor.

• Informative x 1
  5. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

Thanks. I'll do the 73 MPH TACC test next time I have a decent distance run to make ... and maybe also an 80 MPH MaxRange run too.

I am guessing that there must be an ideal speed that suits front-motor torque sleep? Perhaps 73 MPH is a lousy speed choice in order to get the greatest saving?