Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does MCU2 fix bluetooth audio / video delay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the things I'd like to do is watch Netflix on a tablet or phone using the car's audio.

Unfortunately, in my 2016 model S, there is a full second of bluetooth audio delay between the video on the device and the sound coming out of the speakers.

My previous car, a 2015 Hyundai Sonata, had absolutely no issue with this. The audio and video were in perfect sync - I know it's possible to do, but I don't know why Tesla insists on not fixing it. Usually, audio delay is due to some post-processing done on the software side - I wish to god I could turn it off.

Does anyone know if upgrading from MCU1 to MCU2 fixes this issue? Does anyone have a newer Model S they can test it in?

The audio delay always happens when routing BT audio to another device. It's up to the media player/app to delay the video slightly to bring it back into sync with the audio. Some apps support this - some don't.

There's nothing the MCU can do about this delay,, because it's the video that is ahead of the audio. If routing the audio through BT adds a delay, about all the software on the MCU can do is make that delay as short as possible - and since the MCU2 is faster than MCU1, the delay could be a little shorter, though likely still present.

The audio delay always happens when routing BT audio to another device. It's up to the media player/app to delay the video slightly to bring it back into sync with the audio. Some apps support this - some don't.

There's nothing the MCU can do about this delay,, because it's the video that is ahead of the audio. If routing the audio through BT adds a delay, about all the software on the MCU can do is make that delay as short as possible - and since the MCU2 is faster than MCU1, the delay could be a little shorter, though likely still present.

This is not true. Again - my hyundai didn't have this problem. Bluetooth audio connection is as instant as a cable (basically), but processing it before its emitted can take time. If this processing takes too long (similar to the way a TV processes video signals before displaying them to "enhance" them), it can cause audio delay.

There absolutely IS something the MCU can do about it, and I'm disappointed to see the same rhetoric repeated by forum goers like yourself. There is a better way, but it takes consideration.

In any case, I'm disappointed to learn that MCU2 doesn't resolve the issue. For such a highly technical (and expensive) car, I'd have thought they'd think about things like this.

This is not true. Again - my hyundai didn't have this problem. Bluetooth audio connection is as instant as a cable (basically), but processing it before its emitted can take time. If this processing takes too long (similar to the way a TV processes video signals before displaying them to "enhance" them), it can cause audio delay.

There absolutely IS something the MCU can do about it, and I'm disappointed to see the same rhetoric repeated by forum goers like yourself. There is a better way, but it takes consideration.

In any case, I'm disappointed to learn that MCU2 doesn't resolve the issue. For such a highly technical (and expensive) car, I'd have thought they'd think about things like this.

You may want to look at the Bluetooth spec for the different profiles.

A2DP has latency of from around 40ms upwards of 200ms depending on the codec used for encoding/decoding.

One thing you'll also noticed is that if you have an iPhone and do a Facetime Video call, you'll see the audio sync better with the video because those connections use the SFP Profile, which has latency as low as 30ms.

Regardless, this is something that could potentially be addressed by Tesla but with all of the entertainment options in MCU2, it may not be the highest on their list.

I have found a viable solution after having the same issue. It's a bit archaic, but it works really well: Bluetooth 5.1 FM Transmitter. Connect your phone/tablet to the transmitter, choose a clear FM station on your Tesla, and boom. No delay at all! Until Tesla fixes the delay (probably never), this will be my workaround. This is the one I ordered from Amazon (not an affiliate link, I just know it works and fits in the center console with a tray): Amazon.com