TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Does Model 3 come with front and rear bumpers protective film?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by Need, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Need

Need Active Member

I just took delivery of my AWD model 3 yesterday and noticed that there is protective film on front and rear bumpers. Is this normal? Do they pre-install protective film on bumpers?

2. HelloJohnny

HelloJohnny Member

It most likely is just plastic film to protect the paint during transport. They are not intended to stay on the vehicle to protect it.

• Helpful x 1
  3. Need

Need Active Member

They look pretty solid though. Doesn't look like it would come off easy. It looks just like clear bra on other cars. Maybe I will just see if they will start peeling off on their own.

4. crmatson

crmatson Member

Got a picture?

5. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Member

Mine has film on the rocker panels, but not the bumpers. Transport protection film is usually white, not transparent.

6. Need

Need Active Member

Front and Rear Bumper

front_bumper.JPG rear_bumper.JPG

7. duy.duck

duy.duck Member

Interesting...

8. brobinson

brobinson Member

are you sure that isn't just a poor paint job?

9. crmatson

crmatson Member

Not sure I can see a film--maybe clear coat?

10. The805

The805 Member

There was recent thread

White Paint Bumper mismatch

where owners just taking deliveries noticed pre installed protective film on the bumpers of recently manufactured pearl white M3s.

11. phtp

phtp Member

I posted this in the White Paint Bumper mismatch thread, it looks like a run in the clearcoat to me, but it's hard to tell without seeing it.

12. Chak

Chak Member

I have just stopped by local Tesla Service Center to inquire about protection film. They mentioned that Tesla Model 3 (didn't ask about S or X) does not come with any protection film. They mentioned that several customers are getting ppf from outside shop and offered to email a couple of references.

13. EVS Motors

EVS Motors Vendor

They don't come with any sort of paint protection film, so if you are concerned with keeping the paint looking as new as possible, definitely look into getting it done before you start putting miles on it.

14. Ppf.nyc

Ppf.nyc Member

They can't & shouldn't put on ppf at factory because the paint is too fresh. They installed ppf behind the wheels at the Ferrari factory awhile back. When we tried to remove the ppf to install a bigger piece, some of the paint peeled along with the ppf.