Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does model 3 delivery with front license plate bracket preinstalled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From previous deliveries, the Plates have been located in the Frunk upon delivery. I've not seem them pre-installed.

I would assume if you saw pre-installed front plates, they would be fore overseas markets, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities that Tesla started installing them for states requiring. Where they longer European style holders?

From previous deliveries, the Plates have been located in the Frunk upon delivery. I've not seem them pre-installed.

I would assume if you saw pre-installed front plates, they would be fore overseas markets, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities that Tesla started installing them for states requiring. Where they longer European style holders?

I would expect that they preinstall front plate holders in places like California. You cant get far in the Bay Area without a front plate anymore. I had to give up and have it done on a Porsche 911 years ago. I would hope they don’t expect us to drill them, and with 10 min appointments, that doesn’t give much time for Tesla to drill them for you.

I hope they better NOT install a front plate. F the stupid laws here in regards to that. US plates just look horrible on the front of cars unlike the wider Euro plates. I promptly throw all that BS in the trash (brackets, mount, etc).

I would expect that they preinstall front plate holders in places like California. You cant get far in the Bay Area without a front plate anymore. I had to give up and have it done on a Porsche 911 years ago. I would hope they don’t expect us to drill them, and with 10 min appointments, that doesn’t give much time for Tesla to drill them for you.

They come with 3M double sided adhesive on the plate holder

They come with 3M double sided adhesive on the plate holder

Double sided tape? Will they drill it for you on delivery? That tape won’t last very long. I gave up with the “no drilling” concept after trying to keep Porsches intact. It’s just not worth it. I’ve often seen CHP waiting for people after you cross the Golden Gate bridge. One of the really nice perks of owning a Tesla is having a fast car that doesn’t look fast and attract attention.

The last thing I want to do is get an equipment violation, etc. And losing a front plate is a bigger hassle than anything.

Double sided tape? Will they drill it for you on delivery? That tape won’t last very long. I gave up with the “no drilling” concept after trying to keep Porsches intact. It’s just not worth it. I’ve often seen CHP waiting for people after you cross the Golden Gate bridge. One of the really nice perks of owning a Tesla is having a fast car that doesn’t look fast and attract attention.

The last thing I want to do is get an equipment violation, etc. And losing a front plate is a bigger hassle than anything.

The 3M VHB tape they use (...and FWIW all auto makes use) is extremely strong. it is used on most cars to hold trim pieces, badges, etc to eliminate drilling holes in the bodywork. If applied correctly it will not 'just fall off'.

Yeah, looked in showroom Model 3 and it had the holder in the trunk that had sticky tape. Just pull off the protector and stick it on!

It's a requirement in California. Like it or not. There was a long thread about it on Facebook. You can get pulled over anytime. Even though it's NOT a moving violation, it's a $20 ticket. But then you will be delayed, and hopefully aren't transporting contraband of have an expired license, etc

BTW, parking enforcement can also issue these tickets.

Yeah, looked in showroom Model 3 and it had the holder in the trunk that had sticky tape. Just pull off the protector and stick it on!

It's a requirement in California. Like it or not. There was a long thread about it on Facebook. You can get pulled over anytime. Even though it's NOT a moving violation, it's a $20 ticket. But then you will be delayed, and hopefully aren't transporting contraband of have an expired license, etc

I suppose the state needs to generate revenue to dole out these EV rebates somehow haha

The 3M VHB tape they use (...and FWIW all auto makes use) is extremely strong. it is used on most cars to hold trim pieces, badges, etc to eliminate drilling holes in the bodywork. If applied correctly it will not 'just fall off'.
OK ... Thanks, I'll take your word for it.

All these "super strong" tapes aren't much better than putting holes in the car (which are small anyway). They will pull of paint and make a mess if you have to correct them. Why do you think people don't use bumper stickers anymore?

I would just prefer to have the hole and live with them. I'm really not worried about what some future owner of this car will think about holes in the bumper. If they really don't like them they will get the bumper replaced. Chances are, given that option, they will not care.

Yes, and it's an equipment violation - which means you have to go to the DMV, wait in line, and show compliance in fixing the problem - like a bad taillight.

And as you would know - bridges and other tolls like the Golden Gate are big problems if you get caught trying to go over and avoid the fine. In San Francisco itself there are red light cameras where if someone sees you avoiding that, I bet it's a big deal.

I say get holes drilled, live with the problem. The Model 3 looks good with and without. It's a car to be driven and enjoyed, not worried about every little problem.

All these "super strong" tapes aren't much better than putting holes in the car (which are small anyway). They will pull of paint and make a mess if you have to correct them. Why do you think people don't use bumper stickers anymore?

Not necessarily. Ever have to replace HOV stickers? It's not much different. When you pull it off, the tape "tears" before it can pull paint off. There are techniques to remove the residue. I use a hair dryer to warm it up, use WD 40 to remove most of the residue, and then 3M adhesive remover for the rest.

Holes are permanent. But as you say, if you are keeping the plates on indefinitely, who's to know?

Reactions: c77m
Not necessarily. Ever have to replace HOV stickers? It's not much different. When you pull it off, the tape "tears" before it can pull paint off. There are techniques to remove the residue. I use a hair dryer to warm it up, use WD 40 to remove most of the residue, and then 3M adhesive remover for the rest.

Holes are permanent. But as you say, if you are keeping the plates on indefinitely, who's to know?

Well, if we didn't have all the GG bridge and SF traffic light issues, I would leave the plates off. After a while, it's just not worth worrying about. I'm the type to keep a car clean because I like it to be clean - but detailing is really something done every year or two just as a really good clean. Driving the car is far more important.

The rear spoilers for the performance models are also held on by double stick tape. Some have been replaced by Mobile Service more than 4 times and they are able to remove the tape without damaging the paint.

If you are opposed to the double stick tape front license plate holder, there are several aftermarket options. I'm using an aftermarket one. I live about 3 miles from the Police Station and no front plate fix-it tickets are common in my area.....

Reactions: tren01t