Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Model 3 have GPS Enabled Homelink?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: DR61
How does GPS Homelink work? I have two garage doors at my house. I rarely use the second one, but do on occasion and it is assigned to the second button on the Homelink in my current two cars. If it's GPS based, I don't want both doors opening.

How is it on the S/X? Purely in the touch screen? If so, I can see a software based option to just have GPS activate whichever button you want.

How does GPS Homelink work? I have two garage doors at my house. I rarely use the second one, but do on occasion and it is assigned to the second button on the Homelink in my current two cars. If it's GPS based, I don't want both doors opening.

How is it on the S/X? Purely in the touch screen? If so, I can see a software based option to just have GPS activate whichever button you want.
You 'record' each opener (remote) separately. The 'location' is the garage. No GPS is that precise (well, maybe Mil-Spec, and I don't even think that is that good) to tell which door you are in front of.

You would have 'your' car trigger 'your' door automatically, but that car could have all two, three doors recorded in it, if it's the same as the S and X. That is, door A is set to auto, the other(s) are just 'there'.

And you have a chance as you are driving up to cancel the auto trigger before it happens. I do it all the time if I'm not planning to pull into the garage for some reason.
So you get a notification on the screen that the door is about to open? Or do you have to remember to open the homelink menu to cancel it?

I frequently park in the driveway and use the front door if the kids are napping so the garage door doesn't wake them up.

So you get a notification on the screen that the door is about to open?

Yes. As you approach your garage, the HomeLink dropdown Menu shows up and says with a feet-count-down something like "Open in 15ft/14/13/12...--Skip Auto". If you touch the count-down number, it would skip the automatic garage door opening.

...I frequently park in the driveway...

You have a setup option for automatic door opening or you can uncheck it if you are tired of touching the count-down number frequently.

• Informative
Reactions: Runt8 and boaterva
Yes. As you approach your garage, the HomeLink dropdown Menu shows up and says with a feet-count-down something like "Open in 15ft/14/13/12...--Skip Auto". If you touch the count-down number, it would skip the automatic garage door opening.

You have a setup option for automatic door opening or you can uncheck it if you are tired of touching the count-down number frequently.
And of course, you can separate leaving and arriving, also, if you only want one way to ever be automatic. I have arriving be automatic, since I want that to work. Leaving, it's a bit flaky, so I close it manually from the menu.

Awesome, that's pretty much exactly how I would hope it would work.

Thanks!

And you have a chance as you are driving up to cancel the auto trigger before it happens. I do it all the time if I'm not planning to pull into the garage for some reason.

One of the worst things to actually use on the Model S. This happens *ALL THE TIME*...

I'll be driving up to my driveway. I approach my house in a way that causes me to turn *left* into my driveway. To do this safely, I need to cross the street and the sidewalk, watching for oncoming cars and kids on scooters (sidewalk). While doing that, I notice the garage door is already open; I have to try and hit that stupid button that appears on the screen to 'cancel' auto open while not taking my eyes off the road. I'm almost *never* successful. (I err to the side of watching the road.. go figure). Cruise up my driveway watching my garage door close. Then, for some bizarre reason, if I pull TOO CLOSE to my garage door, I can't open it with the Tesla, I have to back up a bit (watch out for the scooter kids on the sidewalk again). Then re-open my garage door... AAAARGH.

This may be a cynical question, but why does Homelink need to be GPS-driven? There's a touch button on my Roadster's expansive LCD screen that I tap, and the door opens. Door already open, kids asleep, or whatever, I have control. Magic! My finger can read my mind perfectly every time.

This may be a cynical question, but why does Homelink need to be GPS-driven? There's a touch button on my Roadster's expansive LCD screen that I tap, and the door opens. Door already open, kids asleep, or whatever, I have control. Magic! My finger can read my mind perfectly every time.
Needed for summon, and possibly the Tesla network in the future. If it works, great, otherwise apparently it’s easy to turn off.