Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Model 3 prevent accidents with basic autopilot not engaged?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
im new to the car but watched YouTube videos where the Tesla moved forward to avoid getting rear ended or moved lanes to not get hit. I only have the basic autopilot. Does the autopilot have to be engaged by tapping DRIVE in order for the car to avoid accidents or is the car always tracking what is going on and will take over for me if someone is about to hit me?

will my car switch lanes on highway if im on basic autopilot?

...Tesla moved forward to avoid getting rear ended...
I don't doubt you could see it on Youtube but I doubt it is a routine feature or a repeatable behavior that has been confirmed by many testings. Youtubers love to test once they discover such a feature.

Jumping forward to avoid the car behind rear-ending you is just too advanced. I doubt current technology is doing that for now. Not even Waymo!

...moved lanes to not get hit...
AutoSteer (a function in your basic Autopilot or paid EAP/FSD/FSD beta) can move to the other side but within the same lane to avoid being hit on the side.

Autopilot cannot cross a lane because you didn't pay $15,000 for Auto Lane Change.

...Does the autopilot have to be engaged by tapping DRIVE...
Yes, if you want to take advantage of Autopilot.
...is the car always tracking what is going on and will take over for me if someone is about to hit me?...
No. Evasive maneuver within a lane is only automatically if you turn on the automatic system: Autopilot and above
...will my car switch lanes on highway if im on basic autopilot?...
No.

Last edited:
im new to the car but watched YouTube videos where the Tesla moved forward to avoid getting rear ended or moved lanes to not get hit. I only have the basic autopilot. Does the autopilot have to be engaged by tapping DRIVE in order for the car to avoid accidents or is the car always tracking what is going on and will take over for me if someone is about to hit me?

will my car switch lanes on highway if im on basic autopilot?
Perhaps you should read about what Tesla says about the safety features itself, rather than a youtube video

Here is the section in the manual about the model 3 active safety features. These are the features the vehicle has (and no more, or less)

Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 11.45.02 PM.png

You can read about each one of these features at the link above. To repeat, these are the safety features Tesla officially says the vehicle has, and what you may or may not have seen on a youtube channel isnt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jane4
Perhaps you should read about what Tesla says about the safety features itself, rather than a youtube video

Here is the section in the manual about the model 3 active safety features. These are the features the vehicle has (and no more, or less)

View attachment 869340

You can read about each one of these features at the link above. To repeat, these are the safety features Tesla officially says the vehicle has, and what you may or may not have seen on a youtube channel isnt.
Thank you for posting. I am going to review for myself. We have Model3, 2020, and I have so far been very happy with the Cruise Control. I feel very safe and secure that it will prevent me from a collision. We paid for the FSD, but didn't get into Beta testing, so have not experienced that.