Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Model 3 Protect from Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess you know that by strict definition, no car is a Faraday cage. :) Yes, more glass, but I am a little doubtful that it is any different than most other cars. Hey, it is a lot safer than getting out of the car and running :)

Well, on second thought, maybe that old DeLorean came close. And it was a time capsule :rolleyes:

Last edited:
is the Model 3 still a satisfactory Faraday cage to protect occupants from direct lightning strikes?
Maybe I should have been a little more clear about this specific question. Cars can get hit by lightning no matter what they are made of. Fortunately most lightning goes on the surface of the metal skin (like on an airplane). HOWEVER, serious damage will typically happen to a car when hit. You have a "better chance" inside of not being fried. Good question.

You really don’t want to be in a car if it gets a direct hit with lighting. I don’t suspect the glass roof will have an appreciable impact on occupant safety.

But yes, it’s almost guaranteed to be significantly safer than being outside the car.