Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Model S 60 actually have a 75 battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the response, but I must admit that it feels like a jerk move from Tesla, I mean restricting the capacity via software when the hardware is there, not sure what Tesla is saving by doing this. Just feels like a butt-head move at least to me.

I think a lot of the 60 folks who saved money, or couldn't have bought otherwise, and who charge to 100% daily without concern, might disagree with your view. What you're basically saying is don't offer a discounted vehicle that Tesla can buy back later on a trade-in, unlock and sell for more. And don't allow people to save money now, then pay later to unlock when their finances allow. Or perhaps sell to someone later when they are done with the vehicle, who will see the value in being able to pay to unlock, etc. etc. Rather, you are telling Tesla to charge more up-front and forego those sales, with the potential to get the funds later. I see what you're calling for as a butt-head and jerk move, to borrow your terms.

Thanks for the response, but I must admit that it feels like a jerk move from Tesla, I mean restricting the capacity via software when the hardware is there, not sure what Tesla is saving by doing this. Just feels like a butt-head move at least to me.

This is actually a move to provide a cheaper way into Model S ownership... it's not the first time Tesla has done this, The original 40 kWh actually had 60 kWh battery that can also be accessed after paying he upgrade.

So your thinking is because the battery is capable of 75 but limited to 60, they should just give the owner the extra battery for free?

Maybe you don't understand their idea behind the marketing of this product? They were building a MS 75 and could appeal to another group of the market, i.e., those Model 3 reservations holders that would like a purchase path to a Tesla like now!! So they offered a car that needed not further engineering (since they knew how to limit the batter capability) for those reservation holders. AND they provided an easy upgrade path later if they wanted more battery without trading or selling/buying another car. Brilliant idea if you ask me.

Seems like if someone doesn't like this, they simply don't buy this 60.

So your thinking is because the battery is capable of 75 but limited to 60, they should just give the owner the extra battery for free?
I guess my problem is paying 8-10k for just a software patch. 8-10k is justifiable to me if they had to change the battery to higher capacity, but knowing that's not the case I would be paying 10k for a OTA. Just feels shady to me.

• Disagree
Reactions: jelloslug
I guess my problem is paying 8-10k for just a software patch. 8-10k is justifiable to me if they had to change the battery to higher capacity, but knowing that's not the case I would be paying 10k for a OTA. Just feels shady to me.
Really? So, if you want a larger battery later, you would prefer that took your car apart, disassembled the battery, added more packs, put it back together and re-installed it in the car? That's your idea of getting your money's worth?

Maybe you don't understand their idea behind the marketing of this product? They were building a MS 75 and could appeal to another group of the market, i.e., those Model 3 reservations holders that would like a purchase path to a Tesla like now!! So they offered a car that needed not further engineering (since they knew how to limit the batter capability) for those reservation holders. AND they provided an easy upgrade path later if they wanted more battery without trading or selling/buying another car. Brilliant idea if you ask me.

Seems like if someone doesn't like this, they simply don't buy this 60.

I now understand why they did it, but still feels shady. Imagine if apple throttled your iphone 7 to an iphone 5 CPU power and sell it at a lower price, people would complain as it is capable of more. How is limiting how much the battery charges for any different than say limiting the max speed of the car?
Not to mention that the price is 8-10k for a software patch that consists nothing more than a few lines of code if that. It's probably just one value that's is changed in the code. That's one hell of expensive software patch.

• Disagree
Really? So, if you want a larger battery later, you would prefer that took your car apart, disassembled the battery, added more packs, put it back together and re-installed it in the car? That's your idea of getting your money's worth?
Yes that is exactly right, I would feel that would be worth the 10k price tag as it required a physical change.

• Disagree
Just feels shady to me.

Definition
shad·y
ˈSHādē
informal:
of doubtful honesty or legality.

Tesla is honest and upfront about it and it's perfectly legal. That doesn't meet the definition of "shady" at all. If you still feel it's shady, then no one is forcing you to buy one. For many people, however, it's the exact opposite of shady.

Not to mention that the price is 8-10k for a software patch that consists nothing more than a few lines of code if that. It's probably just one value that's is changed in the code. That's one hell of expensive software patch.

You missed my whole post of how Tesla plans to get people into the vehicles now and make the money later on many of them, and future owners of the vehicle, with the upgrade. Instead, you just expect Tesla to give away all those future funds for free because the patch is easy? Can't I say to my cable subscriber, all you do is change one code and I get HBO - why charge me so much for doing that -- and monthly too!

I now understand why they did it, but still feels shady. Imagine if apple throttled your iphone 7 to an iphone 5 CPU power and sell it at a lower price, people would complain as it is capable of more. How is limiting how much the battery charges for any different than say limiting the max speed of the car?
That's their right to do. And how do you know that Apple didn't throttle your iphone? And hasn't been throttling your iphone from the beginning? In any case. I recommend if your 60 is one of those 75 limited, you should sell it, and buy an older used 60, so you feel less taken advantage of :) Isn't that a great idea? You might even find someone with an older 60 that will swap even with you. And you can put a smile on their face. :) This is fun.

So when apple pays $6 more for a 32gb memory module than the 16Gb but charges $100 for it that is ok though right?
Unfortunately you are just uneducated about such things when it comes to this argument you are trying to make. The truth is that are a # of cars (German ones in particular) that you can buy a "upgrade" that raises your top end speed and it's also a software change, except it can only be done when you order the car (no 'in the field" upgrade possible). You are really on the wrong side of this argument with regards to the 60/75 battery. The buyers of a 60 get a battery they can charge to 100% more quickly and without fear of battery degradation from doing so repeatedly. If you later decide you needs more range than a 60 can provide it's a simple fix to get you a 75. If you buy a 75 you can't upgrade easily (really at all since it's not offered) to a larger pack regardless of cost. If you buy a 90 and then want a 100 it's expensive and inconvenient. Why someone would complain about what you are complaining about is foolish. The cost difference to turn the boost up on a turbocharged car is zero but manufacturers charge a pretty penny for the "upgraded" engine which is exactly that in many cases. You can add apple CarPlay as a software upgrade for $300. Again, just a few lines of code. Tesla is actually giving thousands of 60 buyers a better and longer lasting product at no charge even if you do not upgrade to a 75. You just feel Tesla being transparent is "shady" when you are getting something without even paying for it. It's a very weak and baseless argument you are making. I know I said that earlier. It's just so true it's worth repeating.