TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Does Model S natively play WMA Loss Audio files?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MsElectric, Mar 26, 2015.

1. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

Does Model S natively play Windows Media Audio (WMA) lossless files by default? What's the best way to have my entire music library of about 220GB in the car and will I be able to play music by genre? I usually listen to music by genre in random order to make my own radio station..

I assume I can store all the music in a USB SSD drive?

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

3. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

What's the best way to add about 220GB of WMA lossless media to the car? Can I just copy all the music to a 240GB USB SSD drive and connect via USB?

4. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Yup, should work fine depending on how the drive is formatted (remember the vehicle is running some flavor of Ubuntu). FAT32, while outdated, is safe. Ext would probably work as well. A couple owners here even have a hub with several big hard drives connected.

5. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Very easy to copy onto a USB straight from your file manager. Metadata doesn't always make it over though, like artwork, artist and album. Song always seems to. Some do and some don't and I haven't been able to figure out why.