Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Model S Support Blue Tooth Phone Keyless Go like Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly my biggest issue is the soft plastic of the keyfob that will be scratched by the attached house key. I'm looking for a suitable cover now so I suppose this issue can be solved...

Still thought for running errands, would be nice to leave the house with just my phone.
If the car can detect your phone for music it sure can do other things too

Elon has stated that the bluetooth key - like the 3 - will be coming to the s/x.. it will only be later model cars though

I believe you are correct @gaswalla and this may be the reason why this feature hasn't been rolled out yet.

March 2018 builds started featuring the new MCU 2, which included not just a faster processor, but a new wiring harness for Model S and Model X, adding a new 5 GHz Wi-Fi frequency antenna and 2 external Bluetooth antennas (one in each side mirror), as opposed to MCU 1 which only has 1 internal Bluetooth antenna located within the cabin. You can see the difference of having 1 antenna on a 2017 Model S vs 2 antennas on a Performance Model 3 in this video.

I believe you are correct @gaswalla and this may be the reason why this feature hasn't been rolled out yet.

March 2018 builds started featuring the new MCU 2, which included not just a faster processor, but a new wiring harness for Model S and Model X, adding a new 5 GHz Wi-Fi frequency antenna and 2 external Bluetooth antennas (one in each side mirror), as opposed to MCU 1 which only has 1 internal Bluetooth antenna located within the cabin. You can see the difference of having 1 antenna on a 2017 Model S vs 2 antennas on a Performance Model 3 in this video.

So the question is how recent the car needs to be...

Phone key on the model 3 is not foolproof. After 1 year of ownership and at least 5 services on the system, it only works to unlock and start the car about 90% of the time. Which is far better than the less than 50% rate when the car was first purchased.

I don’t see why people don’t like the key fob. You carry it in your pocket (or purse) and the car detects it and unlocks. No need to press any button on the fob.

I was really hoping the S would have the ability to sense your phone and open up. I guess not 'eh?? That's ok, I can live with a Fob, I carry keys for various other locks anyways, so it's just "another car fob" replacing my old car fob. 19 Highlander and we do the same thing, just keep the fob in the pocket and never touch it and access to the car is perfect, even lights up the cabin as you approach. Does the S do this??

@DCEV for what it's worth, that cover isn't that great. It is a silicon, wetsuit-like strap that runs around the fob but leaves the sides exposed to scratching and the fob is so slick that over time it will slide out. I'd recommend one of the silicon or leather fob covers that fully encloses the fob. I have the silicon ones from Abstract ocean - different colors for my wife and I which makes it easy to tell the fobs apart, but everyone has a personal preference....

• Helpful
Reactions: PhilDavid