Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Model S work as family car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys. I have currently ordered new Model S and Model X and I will decide which one to take once deliveries nears. We have 2 small kids and a dog. We are annualy making a very long roadtrips(1800 miles). What I would like to know is, if you think Model S will serve us well as a family car? How is the comfort on a long trips? What about the backseats, are they comfy? Is the cargo space enough for you? I know that X is probably more comfy and spacious but I dont like the FW doors and smaller range but I am not sure if Model S is comfy and practical enough for family. Afterall it looks more like a sports car then a family one.

if you think Model S will serve us well as a family car? For Sure. How is the comfort on a long trips? I have found it to be very good, I think the concept of being forced to take a stroll every few hours is actually very helpful for avoiding fatigue. What about the backseats, are they comfy? Yes, they're fine. Is the cargo space enough for you? It's a pretty big space.

The S is an amazing family car! We’re a family of 5 and it fits us all and all of our stuff. We also have the rear facing jump seats so we even have room for a couple extra friends if we put a couple kids back there. With all seats folded you can fit as much as most SUV’s.

Reactions: David.85D
Great family car! None of my dogs have had the pleasure of place a paw inside though! The seats are narrow for child seats...but I've made 3 fit! Once they are in though...you won't want to get them out! Boost seat is proving a pain as well...may look into a narrower seat to make the constant buckling less of a pain!

We have 2 teenage Children, and We usually go out in our MS, including a 6k-mile road trip, instead of taking our Sienna. So, I would say that it is a good family car.
I can attest to this. We used to have a 2007 Sienna and although minivans have a reputation for people movers, they’re not really that comfortable for long trips. The seat comfort and ride quality are not good for lengthy excursions. My family kept complaining and needing frequent stops on a relatively short 100-mile trip between Sacramento and San Francisco. However, in a Lexus LS 430 no one complained about comfort on a 400-mile trip to LA.

We have only taken the Model S on a 100-mile trip but no comfort complaints from the family.

Great family car! None of my dogs have had the pleasure of place a paw inside though! The seats are narrow for child seats...but I've made 3 fit! Once they are in though...you won't want to get them out! Boost seat is proving a pain as well...may look into a narrower seat to make the constant buckling less of a pain!
Today was the first day we allowed our Labrador in the S and it was totally fine with a proper pet cargo cover. The S does hold an amazing amount of cargo, including long items that would not fit in a Model Y. Admittedly, I am tempted to upgrade to an X because I love the unique FWD. However, I dislike the girth of the X and lower range. The more time I spend with our S, the more I love its all-around capabilities for people and cargo.

The X is pretty awesome but it doesn’t have that much interior space when you consider how big it is on the outside. Interesting fact, the Model Y has more second row legroom than the X. Due to the seat risers on the Y, there’s so much extra toe space that I can comfortably straighten my legs in the 2nd row seats of a Y but I can’t do the same in the X (nor the S, of course).

A86651C5-40C5-4BF0-88CD-9B4BF27D4468.jpeg

Attachments

• 45EFBF25-65CE-4448-98CB-936BF7F62BBF.jpeg
    45EFBF25-65CE-4448-98CB-936BF7F62BBF.jpeg
    525 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Reactions: petergy
Absolutely. Ours has been the family road trip car for 8+ years. Me, wife, 2 boys and dog. When the oldest hit 6'5" he got use front seat, otherwise no complaints on back seat comfort. First beach trip we tried to keep the dog all the way in the back, but gave up after that and she rides back seat with the humans.

It’s good but not great.

We never want for cargo space but passenger comfort is not amazing if you’re tall and have tall passengers.

I’m 6’5” and while I can drive quite comfortably it’s pretty tight behind me. Now that both of our kids are teenagers and getting quite tall themselves, the S has fallen out of favor as our road trip car of choice and we usually take our Pacifica Hybrid.

Reactions: petergy
We just took our Model S 75D on a short trip (less than 400 miles) round trip a few weeks ago. I have a 2 and a 4 year old, and the car fit their car seats, the stroller (it's a bulky Uppababy stroller with two seats), snow gear (jackets/pants/shoes), and our luggage (in the frunk) just fine. We also use it regularly for Costco/Sam's Club grocery runs without any issue.

I would say my only complaint is that the S sits fairly low, so I'm bent over quite a bit when buckling my kids in. I haven't had any experience loading the kids into an X, but I imagine the taller height plus the falcon wing doors makes it easier to get them in.