Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Model Y Roof have UV protection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sun came out for about 10 minutes. UVB reading pointing directly at the sun was 4.5. Pointing directly at the sun through the windshield reading was 0, through the tailgate lid window was 0, through the rear passenger side windows was 0 (they are darker tinted from the factory than the driver's side window), and through the drivers side window it cycled between 0.1 and 0.3, most of the time was on 0.2. This day was noticeably brighter than the hazy/cloudy day when I took my previous readings.

Much thanks, objective data is fantastic.
What are you talking about??? This is the internet. In 2021. We don’t need no ‘objective data.’ (Make sure you do air quotes when you say that!) All we need is some anonymous person who knows nothing but claims to be an expert spouting random gibberish that we can take as the gospel truth! Anyone who speaks rationally or claims to have objective data is just part of the deep state trying to control our minds!

If you click on the expand list on the Model Y Specs page, it shows as "Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection"
I found this, too. But couldn't find more details than that even after searching the Owner's Manual. With an all black interior, I'm concerned about temperature comfort within the car. In the summer months will I need to start air conditioning long before entering the vehicle?

I found this, too. But couldn't find more details than that even after searching the Owner's Manual. With an all black interior, I'm concerned about temperature comfort within the car. In the summer months will I need to start air conditioning long before entering the vehicle?
Interior itself is similar to other vehicles however you will feel some heat coming off the glass roof.

Sun came out for about 10 minutes. UVB reading pointing directly at the sun was 4.5. Pointing directly at the sun through the windshield reading was 0, through the tailgate lid window was 0, through the rear passenger side windows was 0 (they are darker tinted from the factory than the driver's side window), and through the drivers side window it cycled between 0.1 and 0.3, most of the time was on 0.2. This day was noticeably brighter than the hazy/cloudy day when I took my previous readings.
If this is accurate then why would anyone tint the windows in a MY other than the front for additional privacy or to attempt to match the rear windows?

It's all about IR heat reduction. Yes, most of the factory glass will have some sort of UV protection but they do very little for blocking IR heat from the sun. With IR protection, the cabin temperature is noticeably lower thus takes less time and energy to cool during summer. I have ceramic tint all around but not on the roof (mainly because I was quoted $550 to just do the roof). I use the roof sunscreen during the summer months here in SoCal and it does a great job of keeping the cabin cooler.
The sunroof glass is IR shielded, too. I can't find it now but somewhere there's a video with someone actually measuring UV and IR transmission.

The problem is glass is a horrible insulator and even if it blocks IR transmission, it still gets hot and ends up radiating heat. The best way to block that is not with a window tint but rather a shade. The shade creates an insulating air gap that will reduce radiant transmission.

The sunroof glass is IR shielded, too. I can't find it now but somewhere there's a video with someone actually measuring UV and IR transmission.

The problem is glass is a horrible insulator and even if it blocks IR transmission, it still gets hot and ends up radiating heat. The best way to block that is not with a window tint but rather a shade. The shade creates an insulating air gap that will reduce radiant transmission.

Post 13 :)

It actually does provide the highest level of IR and UV protection. The heat that you can feel on top is conductive heat from the hot glass heating up and not the (radiant) infrared heat passing through.

Hmmm. I am surprised at this thread. If you could tan through your picture window or bedroom window then millions would be doing it, but you can't. Pretty much any clear piece of glass removes most all harmful UV or we would all be having to wear sunblock inside our glass houses.

Reactions: Rennei
I just put the clip in sun shields on my roof.. cut the heat load of the cabin in the Cali sun by a large margin. The ceramic tint ( 35%) on the side glass did the rest. After seeing what the ceramic tint did for the car, I tinted all the windows in my house with the same basic ceramic tint film. Knocked a hundred bucks off my electric bill the next month even with the AC going ( July 21).