Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Model Y Roof have UV protection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The order page on Tesla’s website gives details on what’s included for the interior. It says “Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection”. It doesn’t say how much protection but it’s apparently included. Some people will still tint the roof further to help with more heat rejection.

Reactions: N1L CO2
I did all the glass on my MYP with XPEL Prime XR Plus and I haven’t seen any sizable difference but I could be wrong.

Interior temps on the app used to say 127 degrees and I think after the tint it was 119 degrees but not sure I compared the same days.

I too have concerns about skin cancer having melanoma once,squamous cell and Basel cell all over my body especially on the head. I am debating to first try an interior roof cover if I can find one that will not sag or look tacky. I anticipate only needing to use it from June through September in Northern Calif. That would seem to be more cost effective because of flexibility of using and removing at will. The tinting may be a good idea but it is expensive and it is not a total block. In fact I think it is a shot in the dark in terms of actual protection. Open to other ideas or experiences from fellow owners. Thx, Patrick

The order page on Tesla’s website gives details on what’s included for the interior. It says “Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection”. It doesn’t say how much protection but it’s apparently included. Some people will still tint the roof further to help with more heat rejection.
Tesla's website (Model Y information page) no longer refers to IR protection. Now it says "An expansive Glass Roof provides more headroom and UV protection".

AFAIK, the roof glass on the Y does NOT have IR/heat protection. Many of the members here tint their roof with 30% or greater UV/IR blocking film. I, on the other hand, have the roof shade from Tesmanian (v2 with magnets). It works wonders against scorching CA sun. I am very comfortable in 100 degree weather running the AC at 70 degrees. I take the shade down in the none-summer months tho starting in October to about end of May to enjoy the skies.

Reactions: SteelClouds
AFAIK, the roof glass on the Y does NOT have IR/heat protection. Many of the members here tint their roof with 30% or greater UV/IR blocking film. I, on the other hand, have the roof shade from Tesmanian (v2 with magnets). It works wonders against scorching CA sun. I am very comfortable in 100 degree weather running the AC at 70 degrees. I take the shade down in the none-summer months tho starting in October to about end of May to enjoy the skies.
The glass roof on MY absolutely has infrared heat rejection. It may not provide the highest heat rejection available; however, it's present. Without infrared heat rejection properties, the solar energy - heat you actually feel on your skin - would be intense in temperatures above ~90°F.

UVA penetrates the skin and is responsible for premature aging, UVB causes sunburn and skin cancer. Any uncoated glass transparent to light in the visible spectrum blocks all UVB and a minority of UVA. Tesla’s nonmetallic coating doesn’t interfere with wireless signals, unlike metallic coatings used on the windshield (only) by some other manufacturers.

That YouTube video covers the IR, very impressive.

UVA penetrates the skin and is responsible for premature aging, UVB causes sunburn and skin cancer. Any uncoated glass transparent to light in the visible spectrum blocks all UVB and a minority of UVA. Tesla’s nonmetallic coating doesn’t interfere with wireless signals, unlike metallic coatings used on the windshield (only) by some other manufacturers.

That YouTube video covers the IR, very impressive.
I have a UVB meter, will try it tomorrow.

I have a UVB meter, will try it tomorrow.
UVB meter through glass roof in direct sun.
20211008_140109.jpg

Can you do the side windows (front and back since the front has an acoustic layer) and windshield as well? It'd be awesome to see what the sun is currently measuring without the roof too.
Will do. I also did the windshield and the drivers side window, then the clouds came. Windshield was 0.0, drivers side flickered between 0.0 and 0.1, occasionally 0.2 but 70% of the time was 0.0. My Y was delivered 06/2020 so I don’t have the same drivers glass as you, yours should be even better.

Will do. I also did the windshield and the drivers side window, then the clouds came. Windshield was 0.0, drivers side flickered between 0.0 and 0.1, occasionally 0.2 but 70% of the time was 0.0. My Y was delivered 06/2020 so I don’t have the same drivers glass as you, yours should be even better.
Much thanks, objective data is fantastic.