Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Model Y trim still discolour from carwash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I recently took delivery of a 2022 Model Y and washed it by hand today as I've been avoiding automated car washes.

I've seen a number of posts related to the black trim being discoloured by the car wash.

Is this still an issue with the Model Y? Or has it been resolved by tesla?

Thanks.

I haven't heard about this - can you link to those posts?

It was TERRIBLE with our Jeep. Especially the bumpers. We used some black plastic restore product a few times but honestly it only lasted a week or two. There are apparently a lot of other better solutions like heating it up with a heat gun.

I took mine twice to a touchless one (esso, basic wash)....no problems
Ok great!

I'll probably end up giving it a try at some point. Interesting that you mentioned the Basic wash because I had heard that the issues seems to be with the multi-colour wash. So the Basic wash is likely a great solution. Thanks.

I haven't heard about this - can you link to those posts?

Here is a link to a post:

Some people reported that WD-40 was a possible solution, but I'm not sure if this was a permanent solution of needed to be re-applied.

I live in Florida and it rains frequently, so I keep my car clean by washing frequently. I have a monthly car wash membership and so far the car looks/stays great and no evidence of scratches from bristles and brushes.
I'll keep watching trims for fading color, but none yet.

Just went through a touch free laser Blizzar Car Wash (just the best and fastest in our area).
My routine involves drying the car with microfiber towels top to bottom, then wheels, then
door sills and trunk trim. 100% black trim discoloration every time, always visible on sunny side.

At the very I pull out one baby wipe (Pampers) and run over the door trims, discoloration gone!

The problem is the xxxxing Bubble Magic "paint protection" gimmick, unfortunately most car washes
tie it to the dryer. In summer I just purchase the basic wash, a California Water Blade followed by a towel
takes care of it.

I took mine twice to a touchless one (esso, basic wash)....no problems
Oh wow, good DP that Esso don’t give the rainbow effect on the window trim!
I found out the bad way when we did a long drive down to Kelowna during the Summer and had to do an automatic, touchless was there. The discoloration isn’t hard to remove btw, just a quick detailer will remove it just fine.

Hi everyone,

I recently took delivery of a 2022 Model Y and washed it by hand today as I've been avoiding automated car washes.

I've seen a number of posts related to the black trim being discoloured by the car wash.

Thanks.
Till today issue is still here on the latest model. Try this wipe. Fixed the discoloured for me permanently

Hi everyone,

Thanks.
Yes, but WD-40 wiped along the trim fixes it right up.