TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Does Models S give an outside indication that car charging is complete?

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by thx1139, May 11, 2015.

1. thx1139

thx1139 Member

Our Volts have an indicator light that changes when the car is fully charged. Does the Model S do the same?

2. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Only with a Tesla connector. Push the button on the head of the plug to wake up the charge port light and see if it's flashing or solid green.

3. tga

tga Active Member

Beware that that temporarily interrupts charging. If you do that on a car that is supercharging, the other car will get priority. D-bags have done this to steal supercharging priority.

4. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

If car is locked there is nothing to see or hear or provoke afaik.
    --

5. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Uh-oh. I guess I forgot that you don't need a key to interrupt charging. Tesla should change this.

6. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Now I know why my charging session was interrupted recently at Gilroy while I was shopping! :cursing: I recommend that that this be corrected!!

7. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Also the slower the flashing the more full the battery. A nearly empty battery flashes very rapidly, and an almost full battery flashes very sloooooowly.....

8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Yes, the smartphone app will tell you that and much more...

9. David99

David99 Active Member

Wow I just tested that and yes anyone pressing the button on the handle can interrupt the charging. That's not good. It will start again once you release, but at some public charging stations that could be a problem as they don't restart automatically.
    If you have set the car for scheduled charging it will not restart to charge if the button is pressed in some situations. I really think Tesla should change that! Maybe there is some safety law that requires a method to stop charging even when a car is locked.

10. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Just wiggling the SpC plug is oftimes enough to stop the charging (weak or dirty contacts).
    --

11. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

The button is part of the charger and it's the charger that stops the current. The charger doesn't know whether a key is present or not.

12. thx1139

thx1139 Member

We have laminated card(s) we made up for our Volts that says if the light on the dash is blinking green feel free to unplug and use the charger. Since it sounds like there is no equivalent indicator, that wouldnt involve someone potentially stopping our charge, we shouldnt make one for our Tesla.