Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does MY build after Nov 18 need VCLeft replaced to get trailer lights working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few months ago I purchased a Tow Package for my 2022 MY which got installed last week. To my surprise, any of the trailer lights did not work, so I send a message to the service center and after a day or two I was told MY build after Nov 18th has to have a VCLeft replaced to get trailer lights working. I'm being quoted an additional $300 in addition to the $1300 I paid for the tow package.
Is that really true? It almost sounds like a bad joke.

Screenshot_20.png

Screenshot_21.png

According to the service center, this is affecting only vehicles where the trailer hitch was installed after receiving a vehicle and if a tow package was ordered from the factory the different VCLeft is installed.

Hi, i'm having the same issue, but, I ordered MY with fitted at the factory. wondering if I will go through the same. I have an SC appointment on Oct 3rd, I like to find out more. I've heard LED doesn't work well, so, I just ordered an incandescent lights kit, I want to test it out before I go into the SC to show them the search result.

tesla has disabled the auxiliary port on the 7 pin since switching to the new nominal 15v battery. trailer lights all should work just like the the 4 pin
yea, after the market kit lit up on the right sync'd with the car's turn signal, and left side, the turn signal flickered fast and the aftermarket kit didn't lit up at all. seems like a resistor issue. no?

On my Y the trailer blinkers flash at twice the speed of the headlights are on (I assume running lights). The car also reports a wiring issue (red trailer). That said everything looks like it is "working". My trailer was modified by the previous owner with new lights so wasn't sure if it is due to a trailer mis-wiring.