TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Does my S sit too high?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by jmsurpri, Feb 1, 2017.

1. jmsurpri

jmsurpri Member

Gap between wheel arch and top of rear tire is around 2.5" at standard SAS height on level ground in my garage. Front tire is about 2". This seems bigger than all other S's I see on the road or in parking lots. Should I bring it in to service?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Are you sure the air suspension is set correctly? This looks like the highest setting.

• Helpful x 1
  3. jmsurpri

jmsurpri Member

Yep, that is standard height setting after car has sat in my garage overnight.

4. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Maybe raise it to very high and take a comparative photo?

5. jmsurpri

jmsurpri Member

Will do tonight.

6. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I'm guessing that you may have inadvertently raised the car when parked in your garage with the GPS setting on. If so, it will always raise your car to that level when in your garage. To check, drive out of the garage several hundred yards and see if the car lowers.

7. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

I have mine set to raise to the highest setting in most of my key parking locations. Makes it a lot easier to dismount..

8. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

my car had to be adjusted by the dealer, ride height was not even at all 4 corners...

9. jmsurpri

jmsurpri Member

Nope. It is standard height. I just measured very high and it's about 1 inch higher than the pic above. Too dark to take a picture. Will post a pic tomorrow morning.

10. jmsurpri

jmsurpri Member

Any special terminology when talking to the SC? Last time I casually mentioned that it looks like my car sits higher than others and they didn't do anything about it.

11. artsci

artsci Sponsor

No special terminology. Just tell them the standard ride height appear to be too high and you want them to take a look.

Just out of curiousity what happens when you set the suspension on the highest setting? Does it raise even more?

12. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Every time I read the title of this thread, I think "Do these tires make my S look big".:p

• Funny x 3
  13. jmsurpri

jmsurpri Member

Very High, about 4" gap:
    [​IMG]

Low, about 2" gap:
    [​IMG]

So consensus is that this doesn't look right??

14. artsci

artsci Sponsor

That isn't right for sure. It's likely that the lowering links are set improperlly ort something else is wrong. You should defieintley contact your SC about this and have them fix it.

• Disagree x 1
  15. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

I have a Refresh, so maybe different.

Measuring wheel-to-fender, I get 5 1/2" in std and 6 3/4" in VH. Looks pretty much like what you have. Maybe the other cars you are looking at put their car in low when they park, or maybe you are looking at 21" wheels, which give the appearance of being lower?

16. jmsurpri

jmsurpri Member

Can someone please take a similar pic at standard height and 19s so I have something to show the SC?

17. jmsurpri

jmsurpri Member

I've been paying attention to all the S's I see lately. There are several in my parking lot at work all with 19s and all are lower than mine. Yes they may all be on low but I doubt it. I can measure wheel-to-fender as well. The camera was lining up the top of tire with the measuring tape, so the perspective is off at the wheel in the pic. My guess is my wheel-to-fender gap is about 1" larger than what you measured.

18. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Have you had any tire wear abnormalities? I'd actually like mine to be higher. Low is fun until someone scratches their bottom.

19. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Take a look at this thread -- it has a number of photos of lowered cars, including mine. The photos of mine are on the lowest setting, which is about the same as the original low setting when the Model S was first made. The standard setting is about 3/8 inch higher.

So yes, your car sits too high, and that's a fact. Get it to a service center.

20. jmsurpri

jmsurpri Member

At std height, I measure 6" wheel-to-finder. Low is 5 1/2". So looks like I'm at least 1/2" off.